AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if getting a front projector is even an option for me. My budget is roughly $2500. What kind of quality can i get for that much money? Would i be better off just getting an RPTV?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Sure tha's within the budget. For example, I have a Sony 1272Q w/ new CRT's for $2100, you can build your own screen (92 x 52) from wood and blacking material, and purchase a DVDO Iscan used, and have a very nice setup.

There are even less expensive projectors out there as well.

·
Registered
290 Posts
And a 1272 with a doubler, or better yet, an HTPC (later when the budget allows), makes one for HELL of a GREAT theater!

Add a used DTC-100 later for truly amazing HDTV, via satellite and/or OTA.

Paul

·
Registered
130 Posts
DEFINITIVELY...go for PJ over RPTV. The size and quality of image is important in HT application. I was in same boat like you 2 months ago and finally i bought a PJ Sony 1271 , low hours (very important) from ChuChuf for reasonable price. He is very helpful . My screen is a DIY (only 35$). For a moment without doubler, scaler or HTPC , the image is more impressive than RPTV.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Also consider a Barco 800 series. You should be able to get one for $1200-$1500. They are very quiet projectors that in most cases do not require a hush box.

Mike

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hello d!abolic,

I sell and set up projectors as a side hobby/passion. I just sold 4 Barco 801S units. 2 Graphics 801S, 2 Data 801S. The tubes were in great shape in all of them. Very nice picture. The most expensive went for $1700, the least for $1200.

Front CRT projection is where it's at! And for your budget you can certainly come away with something impressive.

At the moment, I have an NEC 9PG Plus with 980 original hours on it. I have used it as my personal projector since it had 45 hours. It is perfect. The only problem is that I'm looking to get $2500 for it. That wouldn't leave you any $$ left over for screen, processor, etc....

If you're interested, shoot me an email.

If it's too much, or not interested, get hold of Curt Palme. He's in Vancouver, B.C. area, and is a huge presence on this forum! He's a great guy, whom I've personally met. He'll hook you up.

You're on the right track thinking about a crt projector(IMO)!!

Good luck........Drew

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm interesting. Ok, i know nothing about projectors, so could someone please hook me up with links to some guides?

·
Registered
38 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fled, i'm not considering anything. How can i consider getting a specific model when i don't know a think about projectors :)

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by d!abolic
fled, i'm not considering anything. How can i consider getting a specific model when i don't know a think about projectors :)
... that's why you need to start here... just start reading ... spend a few hours/day for a few weeks and you'll know everything you need to know! I was in the same boat before I bought a CRT projector - while I was already familiar with the technology involved, I didn't know a thing about the different types of brands/models out there (other then what you read about in the magazines).

Kal

·
Registered
359 Posts
d!abolic;

my advice if your on a tight budget is to first learn as much as you can about projectors (start here at the AVS forum). If your close to a major city center - start hunting around the AV rental places I found about 10-15 good projectors in that price range. (including a Ehome 8500 for $250 Canadian) ...the AV rental places are also a good place to find out about companies in your area looking to upgrade from CRT to DLP or LCD, this is how I got the info on the 8500, some companies are just looking for someone to come along and take it away (better if its a large or government corp.)

Another good place to look is Used Office Furniture stores... this is a gamble - since the staff at the store won't know anything about CRT projectors (although this could also work in your favor - price wise)

There is good used CRT projectors out there at very cheep prices... it just requires a lot of phone calls, foot work, and patience.

Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.