AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,I have a low ceiling in my theater build and I am trying to figure out what to do with the 2nd row,I need a riser but I got the low ceilings goin' on ,then an I dea struck me that may be a little out of the box and may work.

You really only need the seat raised so my thought was a 2 tier riser that would allow people to get on the riser at a low to the ground height and sit in the higher raised seats using foot stools to make up the height differance while viewing the movie.I made a SketchUp to illustrate what I mean.

So I am wondering is this a "do-able" idea or is there something I am not considering.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
How high is the ceiling? How high are you planning on making the riser? I'd prefer a little bit of room to put your feet and skip the foot stools all together.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ceiling is just under 7' and am thinking of ~10"riser,there is plenty of room horizontally available so stretching out won't be a problem I just figured the foot stools would be nice so it didn't feel like you were sitting on a bar stool.But once its made I can see if the foot stools are really needed.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Mike,

I would consider looking at utilizing more of the width and not building a riser. Under 7', and you'll likely be scraping heads. Or, consider doing something in the front end rather than the back end. Don't have to worry about scraping heads with platforms in front.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly /forum/post/18142526

Mike do you already have the seats ?

Ya I do actually

Here is a link to my build thread so you can get an idea about my limitations.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1167824

this whole build has been like a chess match with a challenging appointment,every move I make gets countered almost immediately ,I'm closing in on a victory but I am gunna have to fight for it

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Yes, the low ceiling would make it tight but we're only talking about 2 seats here... so your riser is only going to be what, about 4 ft long or so? I'd stick with the plan you showed in post #20 of your build thread, with a full length riser for the second row.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Its all about compromise at times.... A riser is only there to provide secondary rows a veiw of the screen. If you are willing to raise a screen a bit, you do not need as high a riser for veiwing. Is it ideal to raise the screen? NOPE... But again you have a less than ideal height to work with. You can absolutely accomplish what you want with a few well thought out compromises. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It's all about sight lines. You dont' want to raise the screen so much that you are looking up at it... although with a short ceiling you may not have that issue. I see in one of your renderings that you have your center channel above the screen. I would move it below and angle it up at the viewers... this will give you some room to do as E.Martin suggests.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I looked at your renderings again... if you have 3 seats in the front row just offset your second row so that the sightlines aren't blocked (it's appears you have it rendered this way) so that your riser doesn't need to be so tall.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys
I think I'll go ahead with the original plans and make an ~8" riser and possibly make some sort of protective "cover" for the PJ or just stress to people who will be sitting in those seats to be careful getting in and out of the seats .

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If you position the projector so that it's not in the walkway portion of the riser you won't have a problem... put it over which ever row of seats that will work with the throw distance. When people stand up, they don't stand up directly over where the seat is, so if you can place the projector there you won't have a problem.

I'm got a big, honking projector and only one person was dumb enough to whack their head on it... and they did so because they were busy checking out the rest of the room.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.