AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice big room ready for a projector and need some advice with my somewhat "unique" situation. I've scoured the forums, but think my setup is different enough to merit a new thread. If I'm wrong, show me where to look.

Here's the details:

The ceiling mounting location for the PJ is on a cross beam that is 2 feet wide and at 81" high (or 6.75 feet). Yikes. The ceiling for the rest of the room is the "floating panel" type of ceiling found in some basements which I cannot mount on -- nor am I willing to poke a hole through the paneling and "pole" mount a PJ. The back wall is not an option for mounting due to pool table lights hanging from the ceiling back there. Neither is a table/stand/shelf for aesthetic purposes (WAF).

The cross beam has an electrical outlet and other than height problems, is really ideal for mounting a PJ. I used to have a SP4805 projector there, but after three burnt out bulbs and its incessant whining and whirring, I've had enough of that POS.

The throw would range between 148-160 inches (or 12.3-13.3 feet) depending where I mount it on the beam.

The seating distance is at 12', right under the PJ, so quiet operation is a plus.

My sources are PS3, HD-Cable TV & SD-Cable TV.

I have a 106" screen ready to use, but am considering a fixed frame down the road -- but for now, with my AV rack fitting snuggly under the screen, I don't want an image closer than 2 feet off the ground.

Now, about suggestions:

720p is fine with me. Sure 1080 would be sick, but my budget doesn't permit it.

I really like the price and reviews on the HC1500 but from what I can tell, it's a no-go with its offset (please don't refer me to the craptastic Mitsu PJ calculator). Am I right?

I've looked at the HD65, DT510, and on and on... I don't know what to do. The AX200 and HC720 look nice but I can't justify the cost. Price vs. Performance is very important to me -- gotta convince SWMBO of this purchase.

I'm also open to buying older (and likely better) PJ's, some of which DGP has mentioned in his posts... but I don't know (a.) where to get half of these PJ's and (b.) which to get even if I could find them. Maybe DGP could chime in here (I'd appreciate it!).

Lastly, I'm coming from a sweet XBR970 34" CRT, with amazing blacks and contrast, so I'm a bit picky about PQ. My wallet doesn't agree with my Epson 1080UB aspirations unfortunately though.

Anyway.... any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

·
Registered
118 Posts
you may want to look into the Epson Home Cinema 720, it has a ton or vertical and horizontal shift that should help with the low ceilings(mine's a little over 7ft).

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick221 /forum/post/14158700

you may want to look into the Epson Home Cinema 720, it has a ton or vertical and horizontal shift that should help with the low ceilings(mine's a little over 7ft).

I mentioned that one above -- and yeah, it looks sweet, but it's above my $1000 budget cap (unless you know somewhere to find it cheaper!). Of course I could get it, but my wife would likely neuter me. Any other thoughts out there?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peter --

Thanks for the helpful post. I could use the Optoma HD65, but I'd have to get rid of my av rack and get a new one, which would unfortunately add cost and ultimately likely cost me as much as if I just bought a PJ for $1300 or so. So, while I've certainly entertained the thought of doing this, I just don't know if it's worth it. 19" is about 5" below the top of my AV rack which I just don't think would work.

I appreciate your input and the helpful image though. The HD65 sure is nice. Thanks!

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Based on your screen being about 2 feet off the ground, the top of the screen is probably about 74" off the ground. Your lens would probably be about 80" off the ground.

The Optoma HD65 would have a top-of-image about 70" off the ground. Less than 6" of keystone isn't really noticeable if you have screen borders.

The HC1500 would have the top-of-image at about 63" off the ground. However, the digital keystone correction in the 1500 is quite good, and you can't really notice it with HD video. I have an HD1000 and use about the same amount of keystone as your setup would use.

Jonathan

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jrwhite --

I've considered keystone corrections as an option to making this work. I've heard good reports (like yours) and not-so-good reports from other AVS'ers about the pros and cons of keystone corrections. As most people, I'd like to avoid it if possible, but I'm willing to go that route if it's the only viable option in my price range. I've seen the HC1500 and would be satisfied with it but it's a little worrisome to spend a bunch of money on something not ideally suited for your theatre room.

I wonder if there are any sub-$1000 PJ's with enough vertical shift that would work? For instance, would the BenQ W500 and it's vertical lens shift suffice? I know nothing about this projector unfortunately...

I appreciate your suggestion!

·
Registered
80 Posts
funkfuzz,

I don't feel qualified to suggest a projector as my experience is with a 4:3 Sharp that meets our needs but may not meet others. My response is to suggest that your wife may approve of something like we did. We cabinet mounted the PJ in a piece of furniture. During times we are not watching a movie, our projector is totally hidden. To enjoy a DVD, we just open the cabinet door and fire up the equipment. YMMV but it worked for us and my wife and I both love the aesthetics of hiding the PJ. Ths option may open up more projectors to meet your individual situation without keystone adjustment.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14159348

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Southsound --

That setup looks great. However, our seating arrangement won't allow for a setup like that. I wish! Thanks for the link though, but our furniture is 4 recliners that attach all together as one unit. Behind it, is a pool table, so there is really nowhere for a projector to be housed other than the ceiling.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I haven't seen the W500, and it has it's fans, especially because of it's scaler, but most reports I've read rate the Mits as a better machine overall.

I've tried extreme keystone correction with my Mits just as an experiment. Watching HD broadcast, it was hard to tell the difference even when we had the Mit's lens at vertical mid-screen position. You could see if it you were looking for it, and knew what to look for. A PC desktop is another matter.

I really think that the Optoma would be so close to your offset that even without using any keystone correction you wouldn't see the bow unless you were watching 4x3

Jonathan

My view is that FP is a series of compromises unless you have unlimited resources. The big benefit of FP is that it's so flexible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts