AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
I don't think so.

I know Chromapure is much easier though. I spend so much time reading Tom Huffman's guide to CMS (it's in the popular link sticky) and reading every tutorial at the Chromapure website. (In the Color Science section.)

I know I'll get Chromapure someday. It's well made and I've learned so much from those links.

That day can't be soon for me though. I'm hoping to buy the pro version eventually.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger /forum/post/21513389

Yeah, that's why I preferred Chromapure over CalMan. Easier to use for beginners.

Very True but Calman is more robust so the more you learn the more flexibility you will get with Calman. Plus I think that with Chromapure you only get 1 license for a meter while with Calman you have support of many same type of licenses - so your not stuck with one - at least that is how I always thought of it.

I wanted Chromapure but since I have had Calman from its Excel days - which I paid like $100 for - I never have paid for an upgrade and they gave me the enthusiast package that has all the meters except the higher end type - the highest the package goes is the i1pro- so it covers also colormunki, my d2lt, my dtp94, D3). Got lucky...

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger /forum/post/21513389

Yeah, that's why I preferred Chromapure over CalMan. Easier to use for beginners.

Not sure why this is still being said. Yes CalMAN has a lot more advanced features but that does not make it harder to use. If you don't need any of the advanced features or are not ready for them , you don't even see them. We have workflows out of the box that suit 95% of what anyone could want or need to do without any changes.

CalMAN has a free downloadable evaluation so you can try before you buy

CalMAN has build in help and tutorial on our workflows for beginners

CalMAN can be changed to how you work as you advance and need different or more information

CalMAN supports many times more hardware and is continuing to advance every day we have a full time team of seasoned software and hardware engineers

SpectraCal has sales and product support via our own forums, email and phone you can get help when you need it

SpectraCal has many different type of training classes from 1-2 hour Webinars to three day advanced to help you go from a beginner to a pro

SpectraCal is built around very strong relationships with our manufacturers, we get in prototype displays well ahead of what you will see, same goes for all other hardware types

With all that being said we have been able to get where we are today by listening to what our customers are asking for and building it. Are we at SpectraCal perfect by no means but we learn every day. Is CalMAN done no it will always be advancing as the market needs and hardware changes.

So if you all including those that are not CalMAN customers need something all you need to do is ask. We are always running closed beta's on our forums for those to give us feedback as newer versions are being worked on. Then from a closed beta is an open beta for even more feedback before release candidates.

Yes CalMAN can be improved and we work on it every day.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith /forum/post/21516803

Not sure why this is still being said. Yes CalMAN has a lot more advanced features but that does not make it harder to use. If you don’t need any of the advanced features or are not ready for them , you don’t even see them. We have workflows out of the box that suit 95% of what anyone could want or need to do without any changes.

CalMAN has a free downloadable evaluation so you can try before you buy

CalMAN has build in help and tutorial on our workflows for beginners

CalMAN can be changed to how you work as you advance and need different or more information

CalMAN supports many times more hardware and is continuing to advance every day we have a full time team of seasoned software and hardware engineers

SpectraCal has sales and product support via our own forums, email and phone you can get help when you need it

SpectraCal has many different type of training classes from 1-2 hour Webinars to three day advanced to help you go from a beginner to a pro

SpectraCal is built around very strong relationships with our manufacturers, we get in prototype displays well ahead of what you will see, same goes for all other hardware types

With all that being said we have been able to get where we are today by listening to what our customers are asking for and building it. Are we at SpectraCal perfect by no means but we learn every day. Is CalMAN done no it will always be advancing as the market needs and hardware changes.

So if you all including those that are not CalMAN customers need something all you need to do is ask. We are always running closed beta’s on our forums for those to give us feedback as newer versions are being worked on. Then from a closed beta is an open beta for even more feedback before release candidates.

Yes CalMAN can be improved and we work on it every day.

I think the availability of advanced features makes it look more difficult to use to first time users, but once you actually start using it, you realize it's just as easy to use and the option to customize workflows makes it much less rigid than ChromaPure. Furthermore, I don't care for the design of the white point module in ChromaPure as it only lets you see one grayscale step at a time, forcing you to use the post-calibration grayscale module just to see the whole grayscale at one time. In this respect, CalMAN makes calibrating grayscale far easier and more customizable, which is a big deal to me since grayscale calibration is the most important component of a metered calibration. I really like the grayscale portion of the quickview workflow in CalMAN as it makes setting 10-pt grayscale/gamma controls very easy and intuitive. Also, being able to customize the data points is a great plus as well.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/21517363

I think the availability of advanced features makes it look more difficult to use to first time users.

We are working very very hard on this for a future release.

·
Registered
12,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/21517413

We are working very very hard on this for a future release.

good to know, can you provide any more information or a preview of some sort?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/21517439

good to know, can you provide any more information or a preview of some sort?

We are looking for more closed beta testers

·
Registered
76 Posts
Regarding i1Display3, do you still need Calman or Chromapure for HTPC use or is the included software enough?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votinh /forum/post/21517901

Regarding i1Display3, do you still need Calman or Chromapure for HTPC use or is the included software enough?

Thanks

The X-Rite i1Display Pro retail has all you need for a HTPC. But does not help with getting the display close before you start messing with the PC LUT/ICC. The goal is always to have the display as close as you can before changing the signal up stream.

So CalMAN with CalPC add-on or just CalPC with a OEM D3 or C6 gives you the best of both. Microsoft and Electronic Arts must know something because they use CalPC.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo /forum/post/21514295

Very True but Calman is more robust so the more you learn the more flexibility you will get with Calman. Plus I think that with Chromapure you only get 1 license for a meter while with Calman you have support of many same type of licenses - so your not stuck with one - at least that is how I always thought of it.

I wanted Chromapure but since I have had Calman from its Excel days - which I paid like $100 for - I never have paid for an upgrade and they gave me the enthusiast package that has all the meters except the higher end type - the highest the package goes is the i1pro- so it covers also colormunki, my d2lt, my dtp94, D3). Got lucky...

I have Chromapure Pro and it supports more than one meter license.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith /forum/post/21518204

So CalMAN with CalPC add-on or just CalPC with a OEM D3 or C6 gives you the best of both. Microsoft and Electronic Arts must know something because they use CalPC.

Confirm that the CalPC addon works extremely well on an OEM D3 and was my choice but obviously only available to CalMAN users.

I like to use both CalMAN and Chromapure and found my PC calibration options limited (the one bundled with Retail version strangely won't work on my OEM even if you try to buy it as I did).

Querying this with Xrite in Switzerland they claimed it was because I bought the OEM from Chromapure which does not make sense since it does allow my CalMAN v4.5 to operate without problem.

BasiCColor (at least latest version) works but is limited to a single computer / laptop with half price cost for supplementary laptops.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG /forum/post/21520698

I have Chromapure Pro and it supports more than one meter license.

How about standard? Pro sounds like it should include more than one to me but how about Standard. My package with Calman is not a pro license

·
Registered
76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith /forum/post/21518204

So CalPC does not work with the retail version of D3?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The CP standard model is ... $100 per additional probe ... beyond the original purchase that included the first probe.

The CP pro model is unlimited probes ... just send the serial numbers to tom and they get added.

Regards

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votinh /forum/post/21521069

So CalPC does not work with the retail version of D3?

The CalPC license includes support for any number of:

Sencore ColorPro II

Sencore ColorPro III

Sencore ColorPro IV

X-Rite DTP94

X-Rite Gamma5

X-Rite Display2

X-Rite DisplayLT

X-Rite Display3 OEM

X-Rite Display3 Retail

X-Rite ColorMunki Spectro

SpectraCal X2

SpectraCal M2

SpectraCal S3

DataColor Spyder2

DataColor Spyder3

CalPC is also licensed for use on 3 computers you own, no need to buy addtionals.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
SpectraCal CalMAN v4 license has support for any number of meters by class. You never need to send us a serial number. So as a end user you can add more meters as needed, use different meters as you can afford them, sell off your old ones or even just replace what you have. You never need our permission to do so.

The CalMAN DIY currently has support for any number of:

Sencore ColorPro II

Sencore ColorPro III

Sencore ColorPro IV

X-Rite DTP94

X-Rite Gamma5

X-Rite Display2

X-Rite DisplayLT

X-Rite Display3 OEM

X-Rite Display3 Retail

SpectraCal X2

SpectraCal M2

SpectraCal S3

DataColor Spyder2

DataColor Spyder3

With a Spectro add-on you also get:

X-Rite i1Pro

X-Rite i1Monitor

X-Rite ColorMunki Spectro

SpectraCal Enhanced i1Pro

SpectraCal Enhanced CM Spectro

With a advanced Tristim add-on you get:

Sequal Imaging Meters (all)

SpectraCal Chroma5

SpectraCal Enhanced C5

SpectraCal C6

Sencore ColorPro V

X-Rite Chroma5

CalMAN Expert you get all of the above plus:

X-Rite Hubble

Sencore OTC1000

SpectraCal Hubble

Klein K-10

basICColor Discus

CalMAN Commercial also adds:

Konica Minolta CS100

Konica Minolta LS100

Konica Minolta CL200

Konica Minolta CS200

Konica Minolta CS1000,2000

Photo Research PR525

Photo Research PR650,655,670,680

Photo Research PR701,705,715

Orb SP100,200

Jeti SB1201,1211

UDT SLS9400

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallengt /forum/post/21522562

Anyone know good places to find used colorimeter like i1display 3 ? I only know ebay

I would be careful on buying a used colorimeter. You don't know how it has been stored, used or treated. They can drift over time mostly because of heat and/or humidity. I would also be careful about buying old stock for the same reason.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts