AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a reasonably priced 2 into 1 component switch? I've seen some super duper units costing upward of $300. Since I'm looking at upgrading my receiver down the road to one that will have this feature I don't want to blow the budget.

Radio Shack has 3 into 1 A/V switcher. Would that work or would it degrade the image too much?

Any other solutions?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The best priced component switchers will run about $150 (as demonstrated by the link above).

On the other hand, you can buy a decent home theatre receiver for $200-250 which has discrete theatre sound and a 2:1 component switcher built right in! If you haven't got a 5.1 (or 6.1) home theatre receiver, you may want to consider this option as a better price/performance option.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I second the radio shack switch. I run both my dvd and hd signal through it and I there is no visible degradation when compared to the component cable straight from the source.

You have to manually switch between the sources, but that is not a big deal. for $15, I will put up with having to get my butt out of the chair.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreggPenn
On the other hand, you can buy a decent home theatre receiver for $200-250 which has discrete theatre sound and a 2:1 component switcher built right in!
Most (all?) low-end HT receivers don't have more than one component video input and even then they only accept it as input, not output.

If anyone has suggestions please post! I already have a Sony HT receiver but I would like to replace it eventually.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a JVC SX111 and it works ok. It's a passive component switcher for ~$80. I suggest buying one that is not passive (ensures that there is no degradation in the video signal and can do HD switching) and one that can be remotely switched. I hate getting my ass out of my lazy boy to switch the video from DVD to HD.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dpadair
i'm also looking for one. i had previously read on this forum that the rat shack switcher degraded the video noticeably so i haven't tried it.
Whoever said the rat shack A/V switcher degraded the video noticeably is just plain wrong. These units are passive and have no electronic circuitry inside of them to limit the bandwidth. Are the female RCA jacks on the switcher a true 75 ohms? Probably not, which is why I never planned on using one for HD until just recently when I was able to see the High Def JVC demonstration tape "The Beauty of Japan" played on a JVC 30K DVHS tape deck through this $15 switcher with NO VISIBLE DEGRADATION in video quality whatsover into my L300U. HD just doesn't get any better than that (except for on a higher res. pj).

I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it for myself so JUST GO FRIGGIN' BUY ONE at a local rat shack and if you think it degrades the picture just return it.

Brent

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll pop out and blow the budget on the little RS box :) . The Receiver I'll be getting down the road has a 3 into 2 capability so this is just a stop gap.

The little units from avtoolbox are great for the price (thanks Warren_G), note that they also have a 4x2 matrix unit for only $20 more.

Cheers to all.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just got the Inday switcher from www.inday.com. It's $150, and they claim it's the best cheapo switcher, and have ocilliscope captures comparing the performance of their unit to other low cost component switchers... I used mine for the first time last nite, and my pic was still as sharp as before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.