AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that finding an affordable HTPC case is the main topic on this forum. I switched to ATX cases while people were still buying AT mainboards. I continued to invest in desktop cases while everyone seemed to want tall towers. It was tough finding a desktop case of any discription for the last 4 years but maybe with HTPCs on the rise, the demand will encourage vendors to carry them.

I have an older ( one of the first micro ATX ) cases that is internally the same as the H340D above. Believe me. It has no room and no breathing space for the hard drive. Good luck finding cards that are half-height as well. I used the ATI VE with a modified bracket and a mainboard with onboard sound. The mainboard also had a riser card and I found a hercules 5.1 to supplement the SoundMax chip on the Intel 518E board. All in all it turned out well but will have a limited life. With this case you also must pay attention to the length of the cards. the ATI VE barely fit and some DVD drives will be deeper then others. YOu are right on target to stay away from half-height. It looks good with the other thin and short AV equipment but at what cost ?

This could be the case for you but - your comment of needing more watts confuses me. See if this case might help. I've used it for over 4 years now and it is still my favorate of the three different HTPC cases I've tried over the years.

I started this HTPC thing 10 years ago before such a standard was invented. I have used the Airboard for several years and still consider them the best of the current lot. I wish they were available in RF instead of IrDA. The HT tends to have too much IrDA now adays ;0

Its a polaris II KS-698. I bought when black cases were un-heard-of and I had to shot it with black laquer. No problem since I had to shot everything else black as well :)

http://www.superpower.com/698.htm

I used these guys when the power supply went out. I bought two supplies so I will have a backup next time around. Its hard to find supplies that fit this type of case.

http://cotytec-store.site.yahoo.net/polarisii4.html

:cool:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.