AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a light meter.. and prices seems to vary quite a lot.

Amazon Mastech LX1010B about $17 ,and the LX1010BS for $25, and then there is EXTECH that sells for over $100....

I mainly want one so I can do quick check on my lumens and graph it out for bulb usage... I think if the accuracy is within 5%, I am fine with the 1010B... Comments?

·
Registered
11,521 Posts
From Tom's Huffman iD3 Review

''In addition to this, the Display 3 also includes a built-in hinged diffuser that swings in and out of place easily for measuring illuminance directly from a front projector's lens. Unlike previous products, this diffuser is color neutral allowing for accurate readings in illuminance mode. Off screen readings are still the preferred method for measuring front projectors, but at least one can now measure from the lens without having to color correct the results.''

·
Registered
12,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu /forum/post/20776291

BTW, I just recently upgrade to i1D3 (or OEM-i1D in SpectraCal terminology). How does this compared to a standard light meter in terms of accuracy?

With this meter, there is no need for a standalone light meter. It can read down to .001 fL, three times darker than a Chroma 5.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujmeistr /forum/post/20798289

Harpmaker posted that his Mastech LX1010B gave similar results to a Spectra IV-A Professional light meter in this post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...h#post16173548

I just ordered the LX1010B for monitoring my projector bulb lux output. A good deal for $17 shipped.

Great!

From the spec, it seems that the resolution is 1 lux, so can I take that we cannot use that to measure on/off CR, as the 0% White is likely less than 1 lux?

·
Registered
7,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones  /t/1351580/low-cost-light-meter#post_20798092

Many hobbyist calibrators are using the AEMC CA813 light meter (price is under $180 from most sources). I tested a very low cost (i.e., less than $40) digital lux meter ( Mastech LX1330B

) that, at least for the sample I tested, gave similar results.

I had gift card for Amazon, so after 5 years of using a PJ I decided to get one of the LX1330B's

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
I found the AEMC meter almost a waste of money. I've had several projectors here that were so dark, that the AEMC meter could not produce a reliable reading even with the meter placed 1-2 feet from the projection lens (to concentrate what little light there was coming from a black field onto the meter's sensor). If you're dealing with mid-to-low priced projectors, it's probably useful. But if your dealing with newer, better (and considerably darker) projectors, you may find the AEMC meter just doesn't measure dark enough. I should quantify that this was for measuring on-off contrast ratios (full field black vs 100% white). The AEMC meter has always measured ANSI checkerboard contrast ratios OK because those tend to raise the black level.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.