AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
We picked up some (foam) bean bags (much quieter) at Mendards after Turkey Day. They are adult sized but better suited for kids.

Any small/stowable chair that is semi comfy should work!

Randy how are the Backjacks for adults? Are they really worth the asking price (in your opinion)? NOTE: They seem to be about the same price no matter were you buy them - not just HT sites (yoga, pregnancy, preschool, etc sites also sell them).

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
$150 sounds a bit steep to me. I use cheap ol' plastic molded patio chairs. They are surprisingly comfortable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by EC
$150 sounds a bit steep to me. I use cheap ol' plastic molded patio chairs. They are surprisingly comfortable.
I'm talking about a little better quality for when the in-laws are over, so there is no 'seat fighting'.

I'm using one of these $249 gliders now, very comfortable and affordable, even have storage for remotes, sorry dad-inlaw, u can't have it :)

not stowable tho...

http://store2.yimg.com/I/netkidswear_1775_86516458

·
Registered
778 Posts
Those gliders LOOK like the ones Kmart sells for $100 on sale only with nicer material. (Kmart has cheap black viynl material).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Corba,

I've got two of those recliners in the tan. I paid about $110 each at ShopKo. As mentioned I've also seen that style advertised at other discount stores. They're okay, but the seat is kinda short for my long legs.

DougK

·
Registered
315 Posts
Check out these chairs at Ikea:

Swivel chair

MALUNG

$169.00 / pieces | |

(price reflects selected options)

website prices may vary from store prices.

| |

Adjustable seat and back angle. Can be locked in the desired position.

Covered with hard-wearing, soft leather.

High back provides great support for your neck and lumbar region.

Use with MALUNG footstool for greater comfort -sold separately.

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/s...ts=10114*10292

$169

Can get matching footstool for $30 or so.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bob_vdi
Randy how are the Backjacks for adults? Are they really worth the asking price (in your opinion)? NOTE: They seem to be about the same price no matter were you buy them - not just HT sites (yoga, pregnancy, preschool, etc sites also sell them).
They're pretty good - I've got a bad back (blown disk and arthritis) and I can sit comfortably in them. My wife recently used one during a movie and claimed it to be comfortable.

And yes, they seem to be priced pretty much in range everywhere - we got them from a catalog - can't remember which one, but they were in range with the link above.

Randy

·
Registered
549 Posts
Quote:
Randy how are the Backjacks for adults?
Bob, I also bought some of the Backjacks a while back. I personally would not recommend them for overflow seating for adults. I've had 3 different adults use them. They each said that after about an hour, they start to get a bit uncomfortable. I don't think I've actually used one of them though.

I only use them for kids now. For some reason, they like to turn them over and use them to recline on. This might actually be a little more comfortable for adults, if you give them a pillow, too.... One of mine is now tearing apart at a seam. Overall, I'd say they are not bad for kids, but I don't use them for adults anymore.

·
Registered
943 Posts
For those who have the backjack floor chairs which type did you get? The folding one or the regular (which I would then get the XL sized)? I am considering getting the backjack and yes it would likely be fore adults. Unfortunately I really need a low profile, easily stored, and relatively inexpensive solution and so far this is the best I can find. Any aulternate suggest are more than welcome.

Any more comments (seems we have one vote as OK for adults, one that they are not)? Are they atleast as good as or better than the standard bean bag? (BTW bob_vdi the foam ones for less noise is a great idea.)

As always, thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
We have used the good old "soccer chairs" for extra seating - they already have their own cupholders, too!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Here's a picture:

·
Registered
24 Posts
To respond to the OP, I remember sitting in that exact chair last year at a "home" type store. They sold quite a bit of deck furniture, patio tables, chairs, etc. Anyway, it was one of the most comfortable chairs I'd ever sat in (that was not a recliner, theater chair, etc). I definately think that they would be good overflow seating if you have the space and the cash. I wish I could pick some up, but I lack both of those things right now :)

Highly recommended however!

·
Registered
943 Posts
PamW, Thanks for the great idea and the picture. I just happen to already have one of them and a smaller version (no side arms and smaller back) [easily found cheaply at Walmart, etc...].

I had not thought of using them in the living / theater room because I only have a 12 foot wide area (16 long) and not sure if I could put them in a decent spot (audio and video wise) and not be infront of the two recliners view. This is the reason I have always thought "Low profile" (back of overflow chair lower enough to be infront of a recliner).

Though I will definately give them a try before any thing else as it doesn't cost any thing extra!!

CptnRandy and/or MikeWh, which type of backjack chair did you get? Folding or Regular / XL? I am wondering if the folding would be worth it (storage and being still sturdy).

·
Registered
549 Posts
Mine is the non-folding also. I'm not exactly sure if it was considered "XL" as in the link provided earlier (I don't know if they come in other sizes). I can measure one of them, if you'd like... just in case there are different sizes.

Re: the "soccer chair" idea--- I bought a similar "backpack" chair for concerts and the beach that has an extremely low height (Walmart). The legs are very short. Your butt is literally an inch or two from touching the ground. I've sat through concerts and outdoor movies and would consider it fairly comfortable. Not GREAT... but OK. It's similar to this, but without such a long back and no pillow:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...e=21&dept=4125

re: the backjack---- My HT used to have an RPTV in it, which was raised on a platform, so people sitting on a backjack would probably have a very severe vertical viewing angle. I'm sure this could have contributed to the discomfort greatly. Randy's been using his in a FP setup, so the viewing angle is probably much better. This might make all the difference in the world!

I'll test out my backjack with a better viewing angle.... more to come...

·
Registered
526 Posts
You know what I REALLY want to do, but haven't yet? I have a couple of those hanging hammock chairs out on the porch. I want to mount some hooks into the ceiling for them, and then just unhook and bring them in.

For the truly brave, you could even have them hanging pretty high up over your couch with a portable step ladder and call them the balcony seats :D

·
Registered
778 Posts
dbroome, Are you that brave? Watch out for falling popcorn, drinks, candy, and people. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.