AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 y/o Onkyo 5.1 receiver which was part of a HTiB. It only has two HDMI inputs and it cannot process any of the newer sound encodings (DD+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD MA, etc); that hasn't been too much of a limitation as many of the devices I'm using with it now can decode those formats into multichannel PCM, though my new Roku 2 XS can only bitstream DD+ for Netflix 5.1 sound (the format it gets from Netflix).

Power isn't an issue--it's for an 11.5' x 10.5' area (about half of my master BR) and I want to keep the price down. I'm considering the Onkyo TX-NR509, Yamaha HTR-4063 and Pioneer VSX-521-K, in order of price, the least expensive being about $25 less than the most expensive. They all have 4 HDMI 1.4 inputs and what seems like a comparable set of features.

Any recommendations, caveats or suggestions of other products with similar price and feature set? I'm kind of leaning toward the Onkyo, just because it's the devil I know and the HTiB one I now have has performed perfectly for 5 years.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Between those three, I'd pick it too.

If, IF, you feel like really looking around...

Newegg

Accessories4less

See if you can find the HT-RC360 for $300-ish(the receiver frequently makes it to $300 at Fry's). If you can live with a refurb or an "open box" you can find TX SR608, HT RC260 and the HT RC180(this one is NOT 3D) for around $300.

The NR509 is fine, but I'd take the RC360 over it anyday

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20772967

Between those three, I'd pick it too.

If, IF, you feel like really looking around...

Newegg

Accessories4less

See if you can find the HT-RC360 for $300-ish(the receiver frequently makes it to $300 at Fry's). If you can live with a refurb or an "open box" you can find TX SR608, HT RC260 and the HT RC180(this one is NOT 3D) for around $300.

The NR509 is fine, but I'd take the RC360 over it anyday

Thanks for the advice. I went for the NR509 since it reviewed best of all AVRs in it price range. All of the prices I found for the RC260 and RC360--new or refurb'd-- were higher by $70 or more (w/shipping) than a new NR509 at the best price I found. I'd have dearly loved the 5 rear HDMI ports, though. It's a largely impulsive buy on my limited budget, so low price was important.

I get the NR509 on Friday--not looking forward to crawling around on the floor in front of my equipment cabinet to install it
, but it'll be nice to use it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.