AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all, if I might impose I'm looking for a little projector advice. A bit of background first...

As I guess many start of the idea of movies in my basement is ver appealing but I'd like to start on a fairly tight budget. I started off thinking LCD as I'm familiar with some projectors from PC presentations, I was then tempted toward CRT after hearing about better quality and being suprised they weren't as expensive as I expected. Now I'm concerned about size and tubes burning out so I'm swaying back to LCD.

So... I found myself looking at XGA projectors but as I think more I am questioning why. If my main interest is to show TV from a TV Card in a PC, maybe PC movies and to play DVD's there really seems little benefit in running high resolution, wouldn't 640x480 or 800x600 actually be a much better plan, especially given the price difference?

Secondly, bulbs, these seem to be the biggest "running cost", are their projector choices I should make that would make this more affordable or are they all pretty costly?

Finally, any advice on a "starter" projector or somewhere other than eBay to shop? I'd been watching Infocus LP130's go for around $1,500 which I thought was a great deal for a very nice projector but I figure for my home needs something less capable and less pricy should be just as usable.

Any thoughts / comments would be most welcome, sorry if these are fairly trivial questions.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Have you ruled DLP projectors out?

Bulbs all seem to go for around $300, its the runtime that you may want to consider, some are as high as 5000hours and as low as 1000hours.

And you should buy the highest resolution possible but don't let it be the only deciding factor.

Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't ruled anything out, at work we have an InFocus LP1300 whoch I really like, that is DLP. It is super-small and ideal for travelling and also does XGA natively, bit nice to have but I'm not sure I -need- them for home use. Something twice the size and a lower resolution would be fine for my needs right now.

I still feel a little in need of studying about rainbows and the like, seems I need to do some more research!

thanks,

Chris.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The Panasonic 200U can be bought for $1099.00. It is perfect for tv and dvd watching. I would definately try that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.