Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!

So it looks like the X1 is the pj for my setup, 4x3, 10' x 12' room with a 11' throw, almost total ambient light control. Then I started to check out the gear in the videogon marketplace on these forums and noticed quite a few high-end used models(ie. NEC 9xxx) for close to the same price as a new low-end pj??? Why should I buy an X1 when the same money will get me a CRT that will do 1600x1200??? Has anyone gone this route and been disappointed/impressed?? All I really know about this NEC model is it is large in size and resolution, and the CRTs are ~$700 a piece, but they last for like 10,000 hours of viewing. Any help you can give me will be much appreciated, I want to decide and purchase as soon as possible. Regards.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I jostled this same idea. But it seems to me that CRT's can get really expensive!!! Not to mention that upkeep and setup are substanially more indepth. Convergance is a constant battle, line doublers are expensive!! Not to mention that they are really big and heavy!!! Digital just seems to be more of a plug and play maybe some color settings and a bulb replacement from time to time.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I agree. It's like buying a new economy class car vs. a used luxury model. You may actually enjoy the used luxury model more, but be prepared for higher (and sooner) repair cost -- because it is used. Also, the older version may not have all the features.

Both may be great choices -- for different reasons. It's really comes down to individual choice.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I wrestled with the same thing. What pushed me back to the X1 was the fact that many of these older used PJs can't handle the various formats that I wanted, especially HD.

Good Luck

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was willing to forego the uber black you can get from a CRT just so I wouldn't have that huge box in the room. I can't afford the room, not to mention positioning.

I look forward to when FP is as good as CRT in many regards, but it already has me hooked on the ease of installation, the newer technology (ever see a CRT with a DVI input?), and the cost of ownership.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I was thinking about the same thing.

Great resolution on CRT etc. I bought this up with my girlfriend and she does not know anything about CRT vs LCD vs DLP, but made a fantastic point.

"You're telling me that 10-15 year old technology is better than something that is new? I really doubt that."

I can not remember how many people I have shook my head at that insisted that vinyl was superior, that tubes are more "warm," and that fuel injection is a fad.

Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion, that is without debate. However, if that opinion seems illogical to me, I have the right to outright laugh in your face (or chuckle on the inside).

Whatever.

Liver

·
Registered
664 Posts
I looked at a few CRTs and a few respectable digitals, both LCD and DLP. I went back and forth between CRT and DLP, until I saw a half way decent CRT setup. I love my CRT, and will run it as long as I can. I spend about 3-5 minutes tweaking convergence about once every 6 weeks, mostly for fun as the adjustments are very small. I have a Marquee 8000. I wish I had DVI, based on reports and future HDCP compatibility assurance, but I still prefer my CRT over any digital I have seen yet. I basically traded brightness and sharpness for contrast and color accuracy. In my light controlled dedicated HT room, I am not starved for lumens. My future is digital, but only because of copyright protections. It really comes down to what you like, your environment, and what you will accept. Go to the CRT forum, and find a few guys in your area with nice 8" CRT machines and ask for a demo. Ask more then one, as quality varies hugely between projectors and also based on different factors like setup, environment, wear, and quality of video feed. You would be amazed at how people focus on one area of their HT gear, and let another area turn it in to crap. Then go see a few digitals.

One important thing. If you go CRT, you may get screwed by no DVI/HDCP some day, but I think there are enough component only HDTV sets sold to keep them from down-rezzing my HD for a few more years. Also, if you buy a CRT from a reputable reseller on the CRT forum (do a search), you will not be crying like the people who bought at government auctions and the like. Only you can decide for yourself, by seeing good setups in action, what is right for you.

·
Registered
664 Posts
TurboDog,

I do not know what CRTs you were looking at, but most can do HD signals just fine, and even higher. You must have been looking at some really, really old 7" CRT PJs. Not all CRTs can fully resolve the image on screen, but that is different. It comes down to electron beam focus and available raster area basically. I know almost all converged, well setup 8" CRTs can RESOLVE more then an 800x600 digital X1 panel can for sure, and probably more then 1024x768 if set up properly. I am not a hard core CRT owner, but what you said is just wrong. Digitals do look sharper in many cases, which I think is due to the CRT radial electron beam spot being less perceptible (round and softened at edges) to the human eye then square digital DLP mirrors or LCD pixels. This is why I think digitals do look sharper, but I would rather try to resolve more pixels on my CRT face with some smoothing overlap at the pixel edges, then be locked in to a panel resolution that guarantees I lose a large percentage of the detail.

Liver,

I am sure people will look forward to more "new is better because my girlfriend said so" feedback. Everyone has the right to be a jerk, yes, thanks for posturing and reminding us of this. I am sure Jamito found this very helpful.

Jamito,

I am hoping to get 3 or more years out of my CRT, before I am forced to go digital due to DVI/HDCP. I will no doubt find digital units at that time that are better then CRT, as it is getting very damn close already. I was very impressed with the 7200 I saw recently. I try to keep my eye on new PJs and view them in good environments (not Ultimate Elec and the B&Ms). I convinced two friends to buy X1 PJs. Quite a few CRT folks have converted to digital, but most will admit they didn't change for better PQ, they did for convenience and future compatibility.

Go to the CRT forum or ask more digital converts to chime in. Here is a nice link for you.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.