AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. First time here. Hope I'm in the right place for this problem/question.

I'm running a 2.0 stereo setup in an unfortunately-shaped basement room with a low (7 ft) ceiling. Picture a square room divided into four smaller squares with one of those squares being a bathroom, and you've got it. Basically, it's an L.

The system is positioned in the crook of the L, with the speakers about six feet apart. The speaker backs are about 5 inches out from one of the walls, while the side of the right speaker is about a foot out from the other wall. This has the effect of "aiming" sound into two of the three remaining squares. The room is carpeted; only furniture is two recliners positioned about 7 feet from the speakers.

I attached a cheesy MS Paint rendition that's much less confusing than all that. Hopefully that worked.

My problem is this: When I stand up in front of the recliners it all sounds wonderful. When I sit down and recline, I lose bass noticeably. I've tried both pairs of tower speakers I have - one a pair of B&W's, the other a pair of Aperions - with the same result. I get more bass with the B&W's but they put out more bass to begin with. Amp is an Outlaw Audio RR2150, but I don't know if that matters to this problem because I get what I feel is "proper" bass on a lesser amp, with either set of speakers, in another room of the house.

I've experimented about all I can with speaker placement and with recliner placement. Tried both sets of speakers with spikes and without. Tried both sets pointing straight out, pointing in slightly and even pointing out slightly. Moving a single recliner to a point 4 feet out from the center of the speakers gives the best sound, but that's not especially practical.

Would appreciate any advice/ideas anyone has. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Your chairs are midway between the front and back walls, resulting in a deep bass null. And when you sit, your head is probably midway between the floor and ceiling, resulting in another null, making it worse. There's no way to apply enough EQ to get this deep null back up to flat. Try moving your seating forward or backward. Sitting higher (or lower) is probably not practical.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Paul. Moving the chairs backward is one thing I didn't try. Reason being, there's a TV in there between the speakers, which my picture doesn't show. However, I care much more about music sounding good than about being further back from the TV. I'll give it a shot tonight and see what happens. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.