AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased a pair of the "new" ML Prefaces. They are essentially my small entrance into the world of hi-fi equipment. I emphasize the "small entrance" part. I also have a Klipsch XW-500d sub, an older (but not old) Sony 7.1 700W receiver. My other speaker components are irrelevant.

So let's be honest, I'm a college student and I love the home audio stuff... been reading about it for a while. And I love my new ML's, but I'm not sure how to get rid of the hiss. I'm afraid that my receiver may be the problem, which would be an expensive fix, and my budget is... well, college student-ish. I also have some sub-par speaker wire I'm planning on replacing with some higher quality stuff.

So the point is... what should I do to go about minimizing this hiss? It's pretty evident at a medium to high volume with nothing playing. Louder music is more apt to "cover" the hiss, while the more acoustic stuff pronounces the hiss.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Hm, that's tough. Thought I haven't heard these speakers, I'm pretty familiar with ML. You shouldn't be getting hiss. The only times I've got hiss was with a really bad source disc.

This happens on ALL sources and connections? What difference, if any just curiously, between hooking up a cdp with analogs vs optical?

Its also quite possible that your room acoustics may exacerbate any existing hiss.

Before buying a new receiver, I'd try to really nail down which sources are worse than others. It very well might be the receiver, I don't know.

Don't spend on fancy speaker wire. Save that money towards something of greater importance. Just as long as the gauge is thick enough for the length of wire run, and minimal impedance of speaker. Nothing like HTIB 22 gauge for 3 ohm minimal with 30 ft lengths is what I mean. Even if 16 gauge, Id just save your money most likely.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems that each of my inputs exhibit the hiss. I have a bit more playing around to do with different sources and optical vs analog connections, but initial (brief) testing seems to say hissing all around. I'll keep messing around later.

Could it be the way the speaker wire is connected? ML suggests spade connectors but at the moment I've just got banana connectors on both receiver and speakers.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
No, it should have nothing to do with how the speaker wire is connected. Maybe your receiver has some very low S/N ratio, I don't know. Something is not right though. What are all of your sources, curiously?

My hiss went down when I bought a "nicer" cdp to replace my old Denon universal. But it still wasn't something to the level you are talking about, or so is my guess. It was more of a subtle thing. I am currently using Summit towers, but I did at one point have an ATF based center speaker. Never made any hiss that I remember. Something is fishy here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, the thing is that I'm sort of between sources at the moment. I'm hoping for a BD player sometime soon, but don't have my cdp at the moment. So I hate to throw in the term, but I'm using my mp3 (at "lossless" recordings) and occasionally using my tv's digital optical out for over the air HD stuff. Haven't had a lot of opportunity to play around with the latter though.

I'm going to try to grab my cdp and test it with that. Because clearly my sources aren't the best. I still have a feeling that it's not a source issue. I'll try to figure the SNR of my receiver in the meantime...

Thanks for helping out

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
Do those speakers "plug-in"?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, they are not powered speakers because they do not have integrated subs. My separate powered sub pushes the lows, but the speakers do have a nice mid range.

if you're thinking about power distortion, I considered possibly buying a power filter.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt11 /forum/post/15548329

if you're thinking about power distortion, I considered possibly buying a power filter.

Yeah, I know people think they are a bit snake-oil-ish, but even a cheap power conditioner strip can help with hiss and whine issues. They've definitely helped for me in the past. I didn't care "why?"; only that it worked.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, good feedback. I was wondering how much one might help... good to know that it has helped someone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts