AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many years ago I bought a Sony HTIB (DAV-C700) for a spare room; it never sounded great but it served its purpose (mainly a place for the kids to watch movies out of my hair lol). Anyway, the receiver recently died and I was wondering if the five tiny cube speakers (roughly 4" x 4" x 4") might be worth saving. So I looked at the specs and it says that the cube speakers are 6 ohm; and that the subwoofer (7" cone) is 3 ohm! I'm just wondering - how on earth did this little 350W receiver drive those speakers? I'm wondering if I am misunderstanding something basic here, cuz I thought lower ohm speakers were harder to drive. Thanks for any insights...

Steve

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Steve: Lower ohm speakers can be harder to drive, but then again some Amps and or Receivers do a better job at driving a harder load. Sony shouldn't have a problem with 6 Ohms, but the sub-woofer could be a problem, is it a passive sub?(no power). You could save the cube speakers and get a powered sub. Depending on the Receiver most Sony units, especially there ES line have no problems running a 4ohm speaker, now there less expensive units not too sure. Also what how many Wpc is it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman
Steve: Lower ohm speakers can be harder to drive, but then again some Amps and or Receivers do a better job at driving a harder load. Sony shouldn't have a problem with 6 Ohms, but the sub-woofer could be a problem, is it a passive sub?(no power). You could save the cube speakers and get a powered sub. Depending on the Receiver most Sony units, especially there ES line have no problems running a 4ohm speaker, now there less expensive units not too sure. Also what how many Wpc is it?
I dont think you understand; this isn't some Sony ES, this is a piece of junk HTIB. Spec says 350 watts, 50 / channel for the cubes and 100 watts to the (yes its passive) subwoofer. The main unit is a combo DVD changer / receiver, the whole thing weighs about 14 lbs and measures about 14W x 15D x 4H. Actually, the more I think about this the more impressed I am, thats really small! But thats really beside the point. I just wonder how the receiver drove those speakers!

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Steve, I know it is a less expensive receiver you stated that. I was comparing it to a ES receiver I had, and the only way to find out is hook it up and you did. I would think though it might have a problem with 4ohm speakers and that sub, well at least the power supply was enough to handle it and not burn out.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kahn
I dont think you understand; this isn't some Sony ES, this is a piece of junk HTIB. Spec says 350 watts, 50 / channel for the cubes and 100 watts to the (yes its passive) subwoofer. The main unit is a combo DVD changer / receiver, the whole thing weighs about 14 lbs and measures about 14W x 15D x 4H. Actually, the more I think about this the more impressed I am, thats really small! But thats really beside the point. I just wonder how the receiver drove those speakers!

Thanks,

Steve
Steve:

With regards to the sub.... the power is needed for the BASS. IOW, the lower the bass, the more power (and current) is needed to drive it.... especially to any kind of reasonable spl levels. With a 7" driver, you are not going to get much extension into the "sub" area of woofage. So, the power needed to drive that woofer is far less than say a 15", 12" or even a high excursion 10" driver.

That's why that "little" receiver didn't have any trouble driving the "sub." Basically it was being asked to drive a "woofer" as opposed to a real "SUB woofer."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.