AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a pair of low-price (sub 300 for the pair) floor standing towers to go with a Yamaha RX-V465? Are TST1s worthwhile for going $50 over budget? The speakers would be primarily for music.

Thanks.

·
The Village Idiot
9,719 Posts
If you live in or near a large city take a look in the want ads or CraigsList for gently used speakers. 10 year old speakers that have not been used hard is rather common. You might be able to get a pair of speakers that once cost $1K or more for $200. If they look good they will usually play just as well. I have a pair of Infinity Interludes that I bought new 9 years ago. They look and play like new.

I watched a pair of Infinity Beta 50 towers with a C360 center channel go on ebay for under $400. The C360 could be sold on ebay for $150-200.

I'd be willing to bet the Beta 50s sound much better than the TSTs you are contemplating.

Don't overlook used speakers. If you have a question about something you find locally post it here and find out if its worth pursuing.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You can take a AA battery with you and pop the speakers and listen to each speaker (tweeter, midrange and woofer) to make sure they arnt blown when you go to pick them up.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is for a family member looking for something he can use for listening to music for now and hook up to a TV in the future. Something that would do nicely with a center and surrounds would be an added bonus, but not necessary.

I like my Polk Monitor 60s (got from Newegg when they were really cheap a few weeks ago), but wondering if he might be able to do better since those are about $100 more per pair now.

I find the internet direct speaker manufacturers are superior at higher price points, but am not sure about something in this range.

Thanks all for the advice. The Jamo E660s don't look like anything special. but for that price (or even somewhat more), they seem like the best deal around.

Still happy to hear if anyone has any more suggestions.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/16934309

they are selling out fast, but these are a great sale from Jamo http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/...103__0_0_0_-1/

you can also call WWStereo and see if they still have any E680 towers (larger than the E660 towers and have two 8" woofers) - not listed on the website, but some have ordered them direct over the phone.

Last I heard the black E680's are gone, but they can special order them in Dark Cherry. Should take about two weeks to come in.

The Jamo's are great speakers. In fact, I'm listening to mine right now. I would recommend you audition any speaker you are considering if possible.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippery44 /forum/post/16936872

I think those are actually new speakers, they usually will list them as premium-select if they're refurbs. Good speakers, my set at the house sound great

it's written at the very top of the page.

Please Note:

All Items featured on this page are Premium Select

Models. This means the item is considered B stock,

or refurbished, and has been careful examined to be

in perfect condition, both functionally and

cosmetically by trained professionals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts