AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many people have discussed them here, but it would be nice if these had one home so people knew where to get them.

If you are looking to get an SDTV for the parents(who just want to turn the damn thing on and watch), or just want a spare for a bedroom/kidsroom/workroom/etc... I would recommend these.

Not because I have any of them, but because they are cheaper than LCD's, provide a MUCH BETTER OVERALL picture from any source because they are tubes, and alot of people don't too have to FUSS(except us here at the forum who don't care
) with aspect ratio's. These are ALL 4:3 tube tv's, and can be set to either 4:3(which would be best for the old folk) or 16:9(if preffered or needed). Some have a zoom, but most would not use it.

Also, at a 480i SDTV, these provide a nice picture from any source(analog/digital/whatever) for a nice price:

WalMart

Emerson 20" Digital SDTV(ATSC ONLY) $139.99 MSRP

RCA 20" Digtal SDTV(ATSC/QAM Tuners) 1 RF input only though for either/or) $149.99 MSRP

RCA 24" Digital SDTV(Same as 20" SDTV) $179.99 MSRP

Plus a PLETHERA(at least near me) of last years models on CLOSEOUT/CLEARANCE from the shelf. They are trying to make room for the new models. These would include the 27" versions of last years RCA(SDTV and HDTV Tubes), and the Sanyo's

Also, you may get lucky and find an CLEARANCE 27" SDTV Orion model, which is the same thing as the Toshiba's currently found elsewhere for a dirt cheap price.

Best Buy

Toshiba 27" flat screen or curved screen SDTV. MSRP $299(flat) or $249(curved). They will price match a local store. Plus 32" version's avaliable.

Sony 32" SDTV available. $599 MSRP. Usually FS170(ATSC/NTSC ONLY), but keep an eye out for FS130's(ATSC/QAM/NTSC) at BB or Circuit City. They may have one still lying around, and will be looking to get rid of it. 36" may also be available

Insignia 5" and 7" portable tv's(ATSC tuners only). 7" MSRP was $199, but I could not find a price on the 5". only had 1 of each available on the shelf.

Just thought I'd mention them too people.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The only brand in your list worth looking into would be Sony. Toshiba used t be good, but quality has taken a nose dive since Orion start making TV for Toshiba. I bought a 32 inch Toshiba last year, and took it right back since picture was so soft and flat.

If one looking for quality tube TV at reasonable price, look no further than Sharp TVs. 27 inch for $260 and 32 inch version for $360. And they all carry one year parts and labor warranty. Their picture tube have very sharp focus.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Well, the RCA and the Philips are crap! The analog and digital tuners are separate, so you can't integrate both signals into one list. Joe Six-Pack won't understand when and how to switch between analog and digital mode...

·
Registered
399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_D /forum/post/0

The only brand in your list worth looking into would be Sony. Toshiba used t be good, but quality has taken a nose dive since Orion start making TV for Toshiba. I bought a 32 inch Toshiba last year, and took it right back since picture was so soft and flat.

If one looking for quality tube TV at reasonable price, look no further than Sharp TVs. 27 inch for $260 and 32 inch version for $360. And they all carry one year parts and labor warranty. Their picture tube have very sharp focus.

If you can still find one, Circuit City was selling the Sony 27" KD27FS170 for $279 before they discontinued it. I love mine.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The only good CRT to buy really is Sony. The rest can suck it.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner /forum/post/0

If you can still find one, Circuit City was selling the Sony 27" KD27FS170 for $279 before they discontinued it. I love mine.

I picked up one of those last month for my father, I had Best Buy price match it.

Only a few stores were still carrying it then, if you want a Trinitron tube you better move quick because its the end of the line.

·
Registered
504 Posts
So no new Sony CRT's ever? It would be so easy for them to drop ATSC digital tuners into those 20, 24, 27 and 32" models and get another year's worth of sales. People will wind up buying Emersons and crap like that and end up really hating them.

BTW, I was in Walmart the other day and the 20" Emerson was NTSC only. I remember because it had a notice below saying it would no longer work after 2009. I don't know of any small (14, 20 or 24") CRT TV's with ATSC tuners.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
The older emerson models are NTSC only but all the newer TVs will be ATSC. As most seem to be offering a ATSC SD set now. Offten 20_30 bucks more then the non ATSC version.

Many DVD/VCR DVD recorders are coming with built in SD ATSC tunners. So you can copy HD in 480i ( for those that would want) a few high end models are ED so they can record in 480p

·
Registered
659 Posts
There is a new SD version of the Sanyo HT30746 at Wal-Mart as well. Saw it there a week ago. Was $347 if I recall. Only 30 inch widescreen SDTV I know of (Akai used to make one ages ago). Personally since they lowered the price of the HD one to $398 I'd just as soon buy that as it has a lot more features.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing that so many no-name brands nowadays are making TV's and selling them for so cheap. You would think in turn it's going to start making the big names to start using cheaper componets to match their prices. I can't get over how many new TV brands i didn't recognize at my local best buy! Once i got to a LCD made by Chef Boyardee i knew trouble was brewing.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayPigeon /forum/post/0

I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing that so many no-name brands nowadays are making TV's and selling them for so cheap. You would think in turn it's going to start making the big names to start using cheaper componets to match their prices. I can't get over how many new TV brands i didn't recognize at my local best buy! Once i got to a LCD made by Chef Boyardee i knew trouble was brewing.

One can only look at RCA as an example of "a hollow shell of its former self". Its now a third-tier brand relegated to WalMart, etc. Time was when RCA not only was one of the leaders (It invented the NTSC color system) on the consumer market, it made the cameras, production/recording equipment, and in the case of NBC the programming.

Speaking of that brand, a 14" flat CRT with ATSC was on the shelf (and bigger 20" brother) at my nearest Wal Mart. The 14" was selling for under $120. Not sure of who produces the RCA TV's anymore, but likely a Chinese subcontractor that rebadges for other companies. As a side not the identical but NTSC only versions were off on a clearence pallet for $70.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Caution: If it has only one video input, which can be either composite video or S-video but not both, do not buy it. More hassle and cursing will surely follow.

You ahve to unplug the S-video cord before you can use composite, and vice versa. You cannot use one of those extenders that Radio Shack sells that brings both the composite and S-video around to the front for easy plugging.

Video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Registered
504 Posts
I had not thought about that, thanks. Also make sure you have audio out. That comes in very handy when you discover the tinny speaker in the front of the set is totally inadequate and want to run the TV's audio through your stereo system..

Oh Sony, why have you forsaken us? Please build at least one CRT model for 2007. These no-name generic CRT's are a complete waste of money, but you don't fully realize that fact until you get home and try to set them up properly.

·
Registered
393 Posts
There's a JVC 27" widescreen Wal-Mart carries now for $400. It's HDTV with and HDMI input, surprisingly. I'm happy with my Insignia ($270 after rebate, Black Friday speical and no longer sold) even if it's a 4:3 set. Out of curiosity, how is JVC viewed as a company? I have no intention of buying this set, but... do they make awful products? Mediocre? They dumped these in the middle aisle across from the shoe section, a decent distance from the Electronics section, right next to another stack of SDTVs, and, of course, no demo model running.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bought a 13" Dynex SDTV to sit next to my computer at Best Buy yesterday for $99. It has both an NTSC and ATSC tuner in it and works great. Got it home, hooked it up to a rabbit ears type antenna and it picked up all the local Milwaukee stations, both analog and digital. The only problem is that it is a bit slow changing digital channels.

·
Registered
236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by au revoir /forum/post/0

Also make sure you have audio out. That comes in very handy when you discover the tinny speaker in the front of the set is totally inadequate and want to run the TV's audio through your stereo system.

I personally would not buy a TV without audio output, especially variable audio output. My TV have variable audio output and got it hooked up to 3 piece (2 satellite and subwoofer) computer speakers. And using TV remote for volume control, the sound is room filling and it is so convenient.

Currently, the Sharp CRT TV is the only manufacture that offer Variable Audio Output.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Speaking of RCA TV's HALEY.. i had one back in the day that exploded. It was pretty new too when this happened! probably only a few months. A jolt of electricity shot out from the back of it onto my back wall and up it! never seen anything like it!

About getting a Tv from walmart tho! I haven't stepped foot inside a walmart since i was waiting in line behind cottoneyejoe. He was a buying a fishing pole, a gun, a microwave, a tuxedo, milk, and a bag of doritos. I don't know about you guys but all those things should be bought in seperate stores if you ask me!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.