AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone advise on a lower profile center channel.? I have a 55" Vizio and most of the centers I have seen are too tall to sit in front of it. On top is not an option for me, either is below as my cabinet doesn't have a spot directly underneath.Looking to spend around $300. I really like the Klipsch synergy but its way too big.

Also, is there anyone from the Detroit metro Michigan area that can point me in the direction of a decent home audio store? I went to 2 local Best Buy stores and all they had in center channels were a Bose, Klipsch and a Polk. I would like a better selection and test out some decent units. Searching around the internet didn't lead to any.

Any help is appreciated...Thanks

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1V1D /forum/post/18213933

Can anyone advise on a lower profile center channel.? I have a 55" Vizio and most of the centers I have seen are too tall to sit in front of it. On top is not an option for me, either is below as my cabinet doesn't have a spot directly underneath.Looking to spend around $300. I really like the Klipsch synergy but its way too big.

Also, is there anyone from the Detroit metro Michigan area that can point me in the direction of a decent home audio store? I went to 2 local Best Buy stores and all they had in center channels were a Bose, Klipsch and a Polk. I would like a better selection and test out some decent units. Searching around the internet didn't lead to any.

Any help is appreciated...Thanks

You don't mention what speakers you have now? It's not that easy to just throw any center in the mix. You're front three speakers should all be timbre matched (same brand and line) to blend correctly as this is crucial. Your rears don't.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I was afraid of. I currently have Infinity IL40's as my Towers and a 10" Velodyne Sub (not sure of model). So if was to pick up a center and some rear surrounds from the same line it wouldn't match with my Infins? Does it matter I have a Denon 590? Would Audessey*sp take care of any issues? Ive been looking for a place with Infinity brand to match up, but havent found too many places. I had no idea you couldn't mix or match these. Kinda sucks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You should say how much height you have to work with.

The shortest center I've ever found to be pretty nice was a Boston Acoustics VRC. A rather unique true three way design with a wide, deep, but very short cab design. Only good to 80Hz due to the small drivers but I otherwise found it to be a very likable center. Great sensitivity, clean vocals, and a very nice tweeter. It is pretty much one of a kind.

JBL EC35 is also fairly short given its driver arrangement, and I believe it to be a very nice center for the money as well.

As always, it is best to use the center designed to go with your fronts. Audyssey will definitely help, but it is not a magic bullet.

I recently had the same problem and combined a pedastal mount with a AV stand, allowing the TV to be raised up high enough to clear my rather large center. The pic doesn't show it well but the tv is about 1" above the center, which is about 11" tall. Wall mounting would have of course been more sensible but I am still renting. So no wall mounting at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts