AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've decided to go the HTPC route after some frustrations with the instability and limitations of streaming/web browsing on my HDTV via DLNA/UPnP media servers. I've been lurking/researching and have ordered the parts for a build that is low profile enough to fit in my HT stand and yet be powerful enough for HD video/web browsing:

LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA Model UH10LS20 $104.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail $54.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Retail

$104.99

ASRock H55M Pro LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

$89.99

Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Model BX80616I3530 - Retail

$124.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

$104.99

LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-C37B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case - Retail

$159.99

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $79.99

Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B 3 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler - Retail

$29.99

I welcome any opinions and advice on the build/part selection from the experienced posters here. I didn't include a graphics card yet, but was considering the Sapphire HD-5570 and maybe a TV card in the future as well. Would a discrete graphics card give that much more than the integrated chipset? I know I'll already have HD audio/video with the integrated, but I'm reading conflicting information about integrated video/audio quality.

Oh, and thanks to renethx for the HTPC guide thread!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I Have that case / psu / cpu fan aswell, it a great case and keeps everything cool and the fans are not loud at all, in fact i dont hear anything unless the dvd drive is spinning i.e ripping a dvd ..

The psu - the extra long leads were abit of an issue when i installed everything but i just made sure they were tucked away from the fans and vents extra, all seem good atm, its very quiet, i cant hear the fan on the Corsair at all, unless i have my ear on the case.

Scythe Shuriken

Corsair CX400W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rsair%20CX400W

Lian Li PC-C37B

The Blue power light on the case is a little bright, but, thats the only bad point.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappyking /forum/post/18313244

I Have that case / psu / cpu fan aswell, it a great case and keeps everything cool and the fans are not loud at all, in fact i dont hear anything unless the dvd drive is spinning i.e ripping a dvd ..

The psu - the extra long leads were abit of an issue when i installed everything but i just made sure they were tucked away from the fans and vents extra, all seem good atm, its very quiet, i cant hear the fan on the Corsair at all, unless i have my ear on the case.

Scythe Shuriken

Corsair CX400W - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rsair%20CX400W

Lian Li PC-C37B

The Blue power light on the case is a little bright, but, thats the only bad point.

Thanks for the reassurance. The reviews of the Corsair 400w were pretty good on Newegg, so that's why I went with it over the 450w VX which seemed a little overkill for my setup. Are you using a graphics card or integrated GPU?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yer thats why i bought that psu, very good reviews.

I have the Intel DG45ID motherboard with integrated GPU, it does everything i need it to do, plus, it adds to a quieter system (less fans etc), no issues with the board / gpu at all so far.

The case is ... Great, easy to install everything. I took everything out of the case first and installed hdd / dvd drive etc into the craddles while they were out of the case, much easier.

I would recommend installing everything onto the motherboard aswell before putting it in the case (Memory,Scythe Shuriken etc).

Good luck with the build,

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappyking /forum/post/18313381

Yer thats why i bought that psu, very good reviews.

I have the Intel DG45ID motherboard with integrated GPU, it does everything i need it to do, plus, it adds to a quieter system (less fans etc), no issues with the board / gpu at all so far.

The case is ... Great, easy to install everything. I took everything out of the case first and installed hdd / dvd drive etc into the craddles while they were out of the case, much easier.

I would recommend installing everything onto the motherboard aswell before putting it in the case (Memory,Scythe Shuriken etc).

Good luck with the build,

Thanks! I'll try to take some pics and post them here when I'm done

·
Registered
385 Posts
I thought I had replied last night, but maybe I didn't hit submit. Check out the PC-C36B case. It's essentially the same case except for what power supply form it accepts. The case is $10 more, but includes a 300W power supply which is still more then you need and is also very quiet. With the smaller form factor supply, it also has interchangeable back plates that will accept 4 low profile cards, or 2 standard cards horizontally.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thinking about it thats what i should of done... do you want some pictures??

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru /forum/post/18313622

I thought I had replied last night, but maybe I didn't hit submit. Check out the PC-C36B case. It's essentially the same case except for what power supply form it accepts. The case is $10 more, but includes a 300W power supply which is still more then you need and is also very quiet. With the smaller form factor supply, it also has interchangeable back plates that will accept 4 low profile cards, or 2 standard cards horizontally.

I ordered the pc-c37b before I started the thread. I ordered it based on a build I saw that used the pc36b that I liked. I would've gotten the the 36, but decided to get a larger power supply just in case I get the bug to add graphics and TV tuner cards later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappyking /forum/post/18313626

Thinking about it thats what i should of done... do you want some pictures??

Thanks, but I've seen detailed pics of a build using the pc-c36b which is essentially the same case. Parts should be arriving some time this week. I also ordered a neat little Lenovo Multimeadia Remote With Keyboard to control it with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts