AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for low profile, low voltage, overhead, dimmable theater lighting. Low voltage so electrical boxes are not need keeping the drywall ceiling intact for maximum sound isolation.

I was planning to use 10W halogen "puck" lights originally intended for under cabinet lighting, but the one I was going to use are no longer available and that still requires a lot of small holes and careful placement of the holes for wires through the drywall.

Has anyone tried or seen someone else use RGBW "rope" light as part of a DIY fixture? It seems like a translucent diffuser like frosted plexiglass spaced off the LEDs a small distance should work pretty well. Add a decent PWM controller and you're off to the races with very versatile lighting.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I've ordered 5m of 5050 24V RGBW LED strips and a basic controller to test with. I've got an idea for some fairly direct down firing lighting and some less direct sconce like lighting for the columns going in my room.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So my LEDs and controller came in. I made a quick and dirty light mockup with 4 8" strips, some foam board, and some DIY "smoked" plexiglass. This would be a mockup of light that goes in my side of my columns.

Looking down into the 8.25" x 4" plexiglass front of the "fixture"

The "guts".\

How it lights up the kitchen (pointed at the ceiling) running 100% warm white

I've already got a few conclusions.

1) It's probably too bright / has too many LEDs for something there will be 10-12 of in the theater.
2) It's a pretty big pain in the butt to wire multiple strips of RGBW LEDs together side by side like used in this. This isn't something I'd want to make 10-12 (or more) of. The jumper wires are short which makes soldering them a big pain since they get very hot and have to be held in place.

I'm now thinking more toward a fixture that's uses a single continuous strip of LEDs that's say 24-32" long. It would be much easier to wire up, have the same light output, and actually spread it a little more easily over a larger area.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Along those lines I ordered a few commercial aluminum channel + diffuser sets from Torchstar to play with. I'll see how they work. Hopefully I won't have to go back to rolling my own.

U01
V02
U05

The reviews of the U01 on Amazon indicate it totally diffuses the LEDs, which is what I'm after. Depending on how the other two do I might have some other ideas on where/how to use them.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The channel came and I've tested it out. The U01 indeed totally diffuses the LEDs. You just see a uniform glowing strip of light. The other two have some diffusion, but still leave obvious visible dots where the LEDs are due to the much shallower LED to diffuser depth of the channel. The U01 is also noticeably dimmer than the V02 or U05 as a result of the extra channel depth. By eye it seems maybe half as bright.

I'll post some pictures later of the three later tonight after it gets dark.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Better late than never... Here are the pictures of the LEDs in each of the aluminum channels. The exposure of the camera was the same for all 3 shots. You can see the U01 isn't as bright, but is extremely even.

U01:

U05:

V02:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts