AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a JVC-RS1000 projector. I only have 14" between my ceiling and the door below the ceiling. I have to mount the projector within the 14". I measured the projector itself and Projector height: <10". I have to go for a flush or a low profile mount. What would be the best mount to buy for this usecase? I have attached a picture for your reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Chief Mount will work for this. You just omit the extension tube and mount the flange directly to the ceiling. This should get you close enough. If it doesn't, I don't know how much more low profile you can go.

I assume you have studs in that soffit to screw some lag screws into? These projectors are heavy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Chief Mount will work for this. You just omit the extension tube and mount the flange directly to the ceiling. This should get you close enough. If it doesn't, I don't know how much more low profile you can go.

I assume you have studs in that soffit to screw some lag screws into? These projectors are heavy.

Yes there are studs in the soffit. This Chief mount... is that all I have to buy? So just buy, attach it to soffit, attach the other side to projector... and thats it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it's the adapter plate plus the flange, everything necessary to mount it.

I'll take some measurements tonight to see how far the bottom of my projector is from the ceiling before you waste your time.
Thank you very much! Really appreciated.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,431 Posts
Thank you. I was thinking the same too. Creating a hole in the soffit may not be an option as it's only 8.5" high and the projector is 10" high.How do you create a box and hang it safely from the joist?
So you make the box taller than the soffit just like the second set of pictures which shows integrating a box taller than the soffit in a two level soffit.
As for hanging it, you make the box of 3/4 furniture grade plywood and put some lag bolts into the joists that it sits under.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you make the box taller than the soffit just like the second set of pictures which shows integrating a box taller than the soffit in a two level soffit.
As for hanging it, you make the box of 3/4 furniture grade plywood and put some lag bolts into the joists that it sits under.
Thanks. How about making a box and attaching it below the soffit? My soffit has studs in it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
221 Posts
It doesn't look like you can, and there is a lot of other nonsense on that mount that will make it less low profile. TO add to that, those universal mounts scare me a bit. I would feel better with the chief mount which has a custom plate made specifically for the JVC's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It doesn't look like you can, and there is a lot of other nonsense on that mount that will make it less low profile. TO add to that, those universal mounts scare me a bit. I would feel better with the chief mount which has a custom plate made specifically for the JVC's.
Thank you! That makes it easier for me. Please post the dimensions of your mount when you get a chance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The bottom of my projector is about 11.5" from the ceiling. Should be enough to clear in your situation.
Did you mount RPA281 directly to the ceiling? It would be great if you can tell us the distance between the lug bolts - mounting pattern.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, I'll snap a pic tonight.

Do you mean on the plate that mounts to the projector? Or the flange that screws to the ceiling?
Flange that screws to the ceiling.
I have very similar situation. I have to mount projector as close to the ceiling as possible due to the ceiling height (91"). My alternative is to build a shelf or custom box out of plywood.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I'll snap a pic tonight.

Do you mean on the plate that mounts to the projector? Or the flange that screws to the ceiling?
I ended up ordering Crimson JR3 with custom Chief plate and screws by an authorized JVC dealer. The mount itself is 4" when mounted on ceiling.. so it should be good in my case. I got it for a good price as well. I'll post pictures when I get it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts