AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3200 digital cable set-top box and ive been experiencing alot of problems for over 2 yrs now and im sick of this stuff! I need some expert help in STB Signal Level and diagnostics of QAM and advanced readings

PROBLEMS

-VIDEO DISTORTION

-Audio cut out

-black channels

-NO VOD SERVICES (IN BROADCAST MODE Plz Resboot and try again)

Readings

-QAM S/N 34

-QAM Levels -9dB (in orange colour = warning)

Current setup i have one +12dB amp at the entrant point (NOT bidirectional) this may be the cause of VOD not to work and approx 4 switches and ANOTHER 2x non-bidirectional amp on my 3rd floor!!

if i replace the initial amp with a new bi-directional Motorola +15db Drop Amp will this fix my issue? and i remove my 2nd and 3rd +10dB amps? i read that a single +15db amp can support up to 15 outlets .... i have 6 TVs and 4 splitters (2, 2, 3 splitter) (very very stupid layout and a lot of long cable runs)

plz plz help me ive tried many places for help! I cant rely on cable company due to some technical issues

INTO HOUSE AMP +12DB

and 2x 10dB AMPS in 3rd floor b4 2x switches 3rd floor 1x switch main floor, 1x switch basement

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
First of all, any amplifier MUST have a return path (bi-directional). How else is the headend going to get the command to watch a PPV or VOD event?

With an input of ~+10dBmV, a 15dB gain drop amp can easily run 24 outlets that are 100' away. If the (even a crappy) system is set up properly, you should be fine.

You can download a Cable Attenuation Worksheet here to help you calculate what the signal levels should be at various outlets.

What do you mean by Switches?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
if you already have a bunch of cable runs.

I would look into a distribution amplifier as opposed to splitters and seperate amplifiers.

Make sure it has little or no attenuation in the reverse direction (0-2db) max.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.