AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TV is a 32" HDTV Sanyo. I have an old Sony STR-DE615 receiver that I'm guessing I bought in the late 90's. It says Dolby Surround Pro Logic on it but I don't believe it has any other decoders. It has 5.1 input/outputs but no optical in or anything fancy.

I'm getting the Oppo DVD player which I believe will decode what my receiver cannot. (I'm awaiting an email from Oppo).

Now should I use this older receiver and get a 5.1 speaker setup such as the Athena Mirca 6's? Or should I try to find a newer receiver and perhaps cheaper speakers? Perhaps just a refurb Onkyo 570 would suffice?

Btw I'm in an apartment and this won't be played at real loud levels. I just want something to add a new experience to TV viewing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
30,356 Posts
Given the choice, I would opt for keeping the older receiver and getting better speakers. That will make a bigger difference to your system than getting a newer receiver and cheaper speakers.

Your Oppo DVD player can decode Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 soundtracks. The Oppo is also one of the very few DVD players that has Dolby Pro Logic II processing built-in, which does an excellent converting 2-channel material (CDs, old movies, etc) to 5.1 channels.

The Oppo also allows for simple bass management and time alignment, so you can optimize your 5.1 speaker set-up. Just run the 5.1 output from the Oppo to the 5.1 inputs on your Sony, calibrate the system (levels, distances, speaker size) and you'll be set.

Good Luck,

Sanjay

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. With this option I wouldn't be able to get any of the Dolby sound systems through my digital cable though right? I'm not sure that's a huge deal but I just want to be sure.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
No...

You can pickup a decent refurbed Onkyo(502) receiver for ~ $150 shipped. I enjoy PLIIx and Neo 6 decoding fom my STBs analog stereo out. Digital would have been better, unfortunately not an option.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA
What speakers do you have now?
I don't have a 5.1 setup currently. I just have 2 old speakers.

I went ahead and ordered a 5 piece set of the Athena Point 5's and a Dayton 10" sub. I'll try that with my receiver and then decide if the Dolby on cable tv is worth upgrading to something like a refurb Onkyo 502 for $129. I'm hoping these speakers are as good as I've heard.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Going from 0 - .5 ( :D ) will be quite a treat. Enjoy. I think you'll want the receiver though. Let us know how you like them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.