AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that the Sanyo XP21N price has dropped about $500 to around $5,000 or less. With its specs, it looks like a very good deal. I'm assuming that the XP21 has gone out of production in favor of the XP40/45.

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Well, I have a Boxlight 38T which is the clone. IMO, if the projector is actually out of production, a $500 price drop is inadequate. Hold out for more. BTW, this is a fantastic unit, we just love it to death. There's no substitute for brute lumens!

Dan

·
Registered
634 Posts
Dan,

How quiet/noisy is this PJ? Also, does the contrast ratio look as good as listed? Certainly the brightness is tempting, even adding the usual fudge factor.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
We have the projector located behind us on a pedestal. You can hear it it quiet scenes, but it is not objectionable to us either in volume or tonal quality.

I don't have the equipment or knowledge to measure contrast ratio. IMO, the black/level and contrast look very similar to film at the local Century cineplex. DLP can beat this, but IMO the brightness is worth the lower contrast/black.

Projector Central has compared the Sanyo to the new Sharp. See this link:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/con...?ci=xp21n_z9000

Dan

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Dan, are you running your Boxlight on a grayhawk?

I was quite surprised (not in a negative way), at the thoughts of the projector central reviewer.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
It comes down to 2500 real lumens versus maybe 800 lumens. This changes a whole lot of install options.

Not to mention that the 21n has similar contrast.

I also think its screen-door concern is over blown to a degree.

I think Powell's review is very clear on the benefits of each model.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
David:

Yes, I have a Grayhawk, which really helped contrast and black.

Wiggles:

After callibration to maximize black/contrast, it's probably closer to 2000 lumens.

IMO, screendoor is a non-issue providing you sit back 2 X screen width, which is what we do.

We love this projector. It's easy to use (but you'll need a video processor) and has fantastic color and depth.

Dan

·
Premium Member
24,322 Posts
Dan,

"It's easy to use (but you'll need a video processor)..."

Once you got through the initial hassles with the QS, how's its livability in day-to-day use? How do you handle video source switching?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Hi Dan. I would like to also chime in with some questions about your setup. I have been using a home theater pc with my vt540 for some time with some stunning results via dvd. I know the jump to an XP21N would really get my motor running with the added contrast ratio.

My question really concerns regular tv viewing. Do you watch any SDTV with your projector? I only have regular cable and using my svhs, s-video, Zoltrix tv-max card, and dscaler just does not yield a good enough image for it to really be watchable. It doesn't appear that we will have hdtv until quite some time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Dan,

To add to what you said, both units start at 9000K+ on the color charts. They will lose about the same % each for color correction.

Perhaps I should have said the 21n is over 3 times brighter for a given desired color temperature.

JP,

My friend has the 18n which is the same as the 21n without the MLA. He goes straight in from the composite feed of his VCR. It works pretty well. But remeber, garbage in = big garbage out. I would recomend getting your locals via satelite or a really good roof mount antenna if possible. The Sanyo's and most LCD's handle MPEG compression artifacts better than they handle snow type noise that most analog cable has.

-Mr. Wigggles

PS. cable and three prong computer hardware can often generate ground loops. I use a 3 to 2 prong convertor in my system to get rid of the loop.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According to Projector Central, the XP21N is now $4895 including shipping at two different places. Keep it up and I may be forced to buy! I wonder what forces are at play here?

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Likely the release of new, better projectors that with all technology products leads to a ridiculous drop in price.

Remember how much your processor was when you bought it? Don't go look in the ads now, you will be saddend.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Sorry it took so long to get back. I use the QuadscanElite left at all the default settings. It's a lot easier to fine tune at the projector. I manually select both source (S video for digital cable, component for DVD. I also have to manually select input aspect ratio, 4:3 for TV or non-anamorphic DVD, 16:9 for the rest.

To get it to switch reliably I find that going one setting beyond the desired one and then going back to the setting you want works every time.

The QSE performs adequately and reliably when set and operated in this manner. Its big weakness is the user interface. But I wanted to keep the cost down because of the rapid evolution of scaler tecnology. I only spent $1100 on it. An upcoming QSE model is supposed to address this problem plus improve performance somewhat. If they keep the price under $1600, I'll probably buy it.

For TV we have digital cable, which is only marginally better than our regular cable on the lower channels. Since we use the system for 90% DVD watching, we can live with it. But it isn't gteat, that's for sure.

Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.