AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These exclusivity deals is part of the reason why 3D has not gained larger adoption.

Letting an overpriced, anti-consumer outfit like Best Buy have Dragon, Rio, Megamind, Monsters and Aliens, et. al., exclusively, even for a short period of time, is not good for the format.

Also, lets be honest, 3D BDs are overpriced. I have Megamind 3D from Samsung and if the new version is anything like that one (barebones), the $34.99 street price is way too much.

The 3D people need to do a few things:

-take a page from Nintendo and realize that they've overpriced their products in the middle of a recession and LOWER PRICES

-just stop it with the BS exclusivity deals

-come up with a universal 3D technology standard with standardized hardware (yeah, they said they'll do this next year but if other format wars are an indication, I have no hope that hardware manufacturers would even agree on the color of the sky)

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R /forum/post/20808701

The 3D people need to do a few things:

-take a page from Nintendo and realize that they've overpriced their products in the middle of a recession and LOWER PRICES

-just stop it with the BS exclusivity deals

-come up with a universal 3D technology standard with standardized hardware (yeah, they said they'll do this next year but if other format wars are an indication, I have no hope that hardware manufacturers would even agree on the color of the sky)

1) Hardware prices have come down dramatically in the last year alone, on 3D HDTV's and active glasses. Expect to see software prices follow.

2) Exclusivity deals are not new and in all likelihood will not be going anywhere anytime soon. The effect of this one issue is minimal to 3D growth.

3) There is some good news on this front, as Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, and glasses maker XPAND have all recently agreed on a universal standard for active 3D shutter glasses. We should see the first products in 2012, and they will be backward compatible with existing 3D HDTV's. Expect to see other HDTV manufactures, like Mitsubishi & Sharp, jump on board relatively soon.

On the other hand, with LG pushing passive 3D, there will be competing home 3D formats for quite sometime into the future. This will not have any effect on 3D source software or hardware, which includes 3D Blu-ray, 3D HDTV broadcast sources, or 3D gaming consoles.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R /forum/post/20808701

These exclusivity deals is part of the reason why 3D has not gained larger adoption.

In the last 2 weeks, 4 of the exclusive 3D BD titles have been announced as retail release titles.

Are you one of those still crying about AVATAR?

Quote:
Letting an overpriced, anti-consumer outfit like Best Buy have Dragon, Rio, Megamind, Monsters and Aliens, et. al., exclusively, even for a short period of time, is not good for the format.

But it's good for Best Buy. They have had them before. Retail exclusives aren't new. You comment on any of the Wal-Mart or Target OD exclusives?

Quote:
Also, lets be honest, 3D BDs are overpriced. I have Megamind 3D from Samsung and if the new version is anything like that one (barebones), the $34.99 street price is way too much.

Early Adopters pay higher prices. And 3D BD is still in the EA stage of it's life.

Quote:

The 3DS is not a success. They have lowered the price to try to move them. It's a piece of garbage as an AS 3D device anyways.

Quote:

Why? We don't have standardized HD hardware, why should there be 3D standardized hardware?

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-JTL /forum/post/20811571

I am of the opinion that the 3d exclusives have done more to harm the adoption of 3d than anything else.

So what you are saying is that 3D is going to live or die based soley on 3D Blu-ray? No other 3D content matters? That's pretty short sighted if you ask me.

·
Registered
386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/0

So what you are saying is that 3D is going to live or die based soley on 3D Blu-ray? No other 3D content matters? That's pretty short sighted if you ask me.

Nope. That's not what I said. I think that, eventually, every tv will have 3d built in because....why not? It's not THAT much more expensive for the manufacturers (to hear them tell it, anyway), and it's another feature to add to the list. I think that, with 3d still in it's infancy, having these big-name movies as exclusives has confused and frustrated the general consumer to the point where they will just wait and delay the adoption and acceptance of 3d.

HTTYD has one of the highest ratings on Rotten Tomatos ever, but you can't get it (unless I buy a certain brand?). But I also liked Megamind....wait, but I just bought this tv so I could get HTTYD, now it's $130 on eBay? Are you insane? Oh, all my friends said Avatar was AMAZING, and I saw it in the theater, and it's THE movie that started the 3d craze...I cant get that one either? Hey, my kids loved Shrek, and it's in 3d now? Wow! I'm going to the store to get it right now....what? That one isn't available either? Hey, I know...Kung Fu Panda was a fun movie, and my kids loved the first one and I hear the second is even better...huh? I have to buy a Samsung tv to get that? You know....I think I will just wait.

FYI, I have the LG 65LW6500 and love it. Even the 2d to 3d is pretty good, and PS3 games that are 3d are great, but even I am frustrated at the exclusives to the point where I would have to really think before I recommended someone to get a 3d tv. The only content I have right now is a few games, a few blu ray movies (with more on the way, thank God) and a couple things on Vudu. Dish Network has nothing.

·
Registered
848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-JTL /forum/post/0

Nope. That's not what I said. I think that, eventually, every tv will have 3d built in because....why not? It's not THAT much more expensive for the manufacturers (to hear them tell it, anyway), and it's another feature to add to the list. I think that, with 3d still in it's infancy, having these big-name movies as exclusives has confused and frustrated the general consumer to the point where they will just wait and delay the adoption and acceptance of 3d.

HTTYD has one of the highest ratings on Rotten Tomatos ever, but you can't get it (unless I buy a certain brand?). But I also liked Megamind....wait, but I just bought this tv so I could get HTTYD, now it's $130 on eBay? Are you insane? Oh, all my friends said Avatar was AMAZING, and I saw it in the theater, and it's THE movie that started the 3d craze...I cant get that one either? Hey, my kids loved Shrek, and it's in 3d now? Wow! I'm going to the store to get it right now....what? That one isn't available either? Hey, I know...Kung Fu Panda was a fun movie, and my kids loved the first one and I hear the second is even better...huh? I have to buy a Samsung tv to get that? You know....I think I will just wait.

FYI, I have the LG 65LW6500 and love it. Even the 2d to 3d is pretty good, and PS3 games that are 3d are great, but even I am frustrated at the exclusives to the point where I would have to really think before I recommended someone to get a 3d tv. The only content I have right now is a few games, a few blu ray movies (with more on the way, thank God) and a couple things on Vudu. Dish Network has nothing.

Well said.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Dude, deal with it. The market will either accept or reject 3D. That is what makes the free enterprise system so great. If the prices are to high, don't buy. No one is forcing you. I forget that this sort of thing is no longer taught in schools. If 3D goes the way of HDDVD, then fine. If the public eventually takes to it, then the market will figure out a way to make it survive. No worries either way (and I'm a big 3D guy with a Samsung 3D system and over 20 3D movies).

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-JTL /forum/post/0

Totally agree. I'm glad the first round of Dreamworks movies are coming off exclusive.

·
Banned
1,338 Posts
I really see where you're coming from. The overpricing on 3D BD's is starting to get to me. I shop from amazon, which is generally considered one of the cheapest places to shop for blu-rays..and i don't prefer to order one movie instead i wait some time and order 4-5 in a bunch and the total crosses the 100 mark everytime. If they keep up this pricing, in some time i'll be left with no other choice to stop buying new ones and just re-watch my existing 3D BD collection. Also the exclusivity deals are doing more harm to the format than you'd think. These manufacturers don't understand that by getting exclusivity deals on movies and trying to oust their competition, they are harming the 3d format and eventually themselves. Stop all the bs exclusivity deals and "make all movies accessible to everyone" alongwith lowering the prices, if you want more people to jump onto the 3d bandwagon.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
The one-year "Avatar" exclusivity deal was a bad idea...that movie alone could've jump started the sales of 3D equipment, and helped to minimize the initial sticker-shock of the few 3D titles available for unrestricted sale. As always, the manufacturer's greed is their own worst enemy. Also counterproductive is the lack of "standard" sources for 3D movie rentals (such as Blockbuster)...not everybody has access to the bandwidth necessary to stream HD movies, and if most of the available titles are tied in exclusive deals, what are people supposed to buy? But the obsession with short term profits is what drives business in America...they never seem to learn from their mistakes, even when it is readily apparent that what they're doing is not working out the way they want it to.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Avatar deal is not nearly as bad as some of the others. If you have to buy equipment anyway then panasonic will give it to you for any 3D product you buy, like a $100 3D blu-ray player. Its not like you have to buy their $5000 tv for the movie. Not to mention they gave it out to pre-existing customers and they did not have to do that.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I pre-order my 3D Movies at Amazon since they usually have the best price and I avoid paying sales tax. When Fry's advertizes a lower price I have my local Best Buy match it. Today I cancelled my pre-order for tomorrows shipment of Hoodwinked Too for $22.99 (Frys $18.99) and Priest for $24.99 (Target $22.99).Then tomorrow I will buy at BB with their price match.

What really irks me is the standard $39.99 for old and current 3D Bluray movies at BB. They only have reasonable prices in the first week of release.

I cancelled too late as Hoodwinked Too was ready to be shipped. Now I hope Amazon does not charge me for shipping as the total now is below $25. The $2 saved on Priest is more like 25c after paying sales tax.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG
Avatar deal is not nearly as bad as some of the others. If you have to buy equipment anyway then panasonic will give it to you for any 3D product you buy, like a $100 3D blu-ray player. Its not like you have to buy their $5000 tv for the movie. Not to mention they gave it out to pre-existing customers and they did not have to do that.
The avatar Panasonic deal is the biggest fail for the movement of 3d. The biggest movie of all time should have been available to all 3d customers not just Panasonic product owners. Sure Panasonic is making sure their customers get avatar but compared to how many 3d TVs are out there Panasonic only owns a small percentage. No way to know how many people would have bought 3d but are turned away by these exclusive deals. I own 2 3d TVs but don't own any Panasonic products, not a fan of plasma and I already have 2 ps3 and a 3d blu-ray player. I'm not buying fourth Panasonic blu-ray player just for avatar. I get the Panasonic deal is better for Panasonic customers, avatar will be held up for 2 years while other deals are a year or less for exclusively. This makes the avatar deal worse then all others.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811
The avatar Panasonic deal is the biggest fail for the movement of 3d. The biggest movie of all time should have been available to all 3d customers not just Panasonic product owners. Sure Panasonic is making sure their customers get avatar but compared to how many 3d TVs are out there Panasonic only owns a small percentage. No way to know how many people would have bought 3d but are turned away by these exclusive deals. I own 2 3d TVs but don't own any Panasonic products, not a fan of plasma and I already have 2 ps3 and a 3d blu-ray player. I'm not buying fourth Panasonic blu-ray player just for avatar. I get the Panasonic deal is better for Panasonic customers, avatar will be held up for 2 years while other deals are a year or less for exclusively. This makes the avatar deal worse then all others.

Even if I do agree with you on a consumer level, here's a fair question to ask. How many content makers would have been enticed to produce a 3D BD if the TV manufacturers weren't writing hefty checks for the exclusive dibs? I haven't polled many studios about this question, but it seems a reasonable conclusion. Basically, as annoying as exclusives can be, they may have done more for the budding 3D library than not having them at all.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddicted
Even if I do agree with you on a consumer level, here's a fair question to ask. How many content makers would have been enticed to produce a 3D BD if the TV manufacturers weren't writing hefty checks for the exclusive dibs? I haven't polled many studios about this question, but it seems a reasonable conclusion. Basically, as annoying as exclusives can be, they may have done more for the budding 3D library than not having them at all.
As of now there are more retail 3d movies then exclusive 3d movies, this wasn't the case last year as the only 3d blu-ray was monsters vs aliens around this time. What made it worse was it was an samsungs only exclusive. They make all these 3d movies I'm sure they would bring them to market without a exclusive deal or not. I'm sure its in the studios and TV manufacturers best interest to do these deals, but overall they would have made the disc anyway with the big 3d push for home. I'm sure last year without 3d content available having a bundle 3d movie helped move some TVs also. now there more then a few retail movies in stores, these exclusives today don't hold the value they did last year. I feel its time to do away with the exclusive deals, they can still do bundle deals but make the movies available to everyone.

·
Registered
511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 /forum/post/20825786

As of now there are more retail 3d movies then exclusive 3d movies, this wasn't the case last year as the only 3d blu-ray was monsters vs aliens around this time. What made it worse was it was an samsungs only exclusive. They make all these 3d movies I'm sure they would bring them to market without a exclusive deal or not. I'm sure its in the studios and TV manufacturers best interest to do these deals, but overall they would have made the disc anyway with the big 3d push for home. I'm sure last year without 3d content available having a bundle 3d movie helped move some TVs also. now there more then a few retail movies in stores, these exclusives today don't hold the value they did last year. I feel its time to do away with the exclusive deals, they can still do bundle deals but make the movies available to everyone.

Well said!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.