AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a lower cost AVR with DLNA and Internet radio.

The lowest cost I have found is the HT-RC180 .

Are there any other options that I am missing?

Thanks,

Rich

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anyone used DLNA?

How well doe it work?

- Rich

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB /forum/post/17029174

Has anyone used DLNA?

How well doe it work?

- Rich

I have an Onkyo 906, and I use it. Initially, I didn't think much about it - I was more interested in the Internet Radio capability of the 906, and for the first few months, I played only with that. Then I ripped a couple of CDs to my old wireless laptop's hard drive and turned on media sharing in Media Player 11. It worked like a charm and before you know it, I was streaming happily to the 906 instead of firing up the 3 disk changer whenever I wanted to play a CD. The laptop's hard drive crashed before I could get all of my CD collection ripped, but I liked the feature so much that I started ripping my library to the external hard dirve on the family PC. At this point I can't imagine living without it - you can play every CD you own anytime without having to get off the couch. I've boxed up my CDs and moved them to the garage.

It works pretty simple - your CD collection is ripped on to your PC's hard drive (I rip them as Lossless WMA - hard disk space is cheap) - you can use Media Player as your server (I use TVersity) - it runs in the background whenever the computer is on. I leave my computer on 24/7, so that's never an issue. Whenever I want to listen to a CD, I just fire up the Onkyo, select Server, the computer's name comes up on the TV screen (or the Onkyo's display), I select it, then I'm presented with folders (usually, the're the same folders you see when you fire up media player on your PC, and you go to the music library (album, artist, gendre, etc). You click a folder and you'll be presented with more folders representing albums. Click an album, and you see the music files - select a music file and you'll hear the song. You never have to go to your PC to do anything, so it doesn't need to be anywhere near the Onkyo - it just has to be on the network.

On the Onkyo, the screen interface is not nearly as pretty as what you see in Media Player. You don't see cover art, fancy fonts, or stats, just primative icons for folders and music files, and rather blocky text. And the display is only 480p with a 4:3 AR (go figure), so if you have a rather expensive plasma monitor like me (Pioneer 151), you don't want to leave the monitor on while you're listening to music. Another downside is you can't browse your music library while you're playing a song - you can only see the album name, the artist, the song title, duration, elapsed time, and an elased time status bar while the song is playing. You can navigate and select songs without using a monitor (just by using the Onkyo display), but it is pretty cumbersome. Functionally, you can play playlists (but you have to make the playlist on the computer in media player), you can select random play, or set the repeat funtion for song or album, or playlist. You can skip forward or backward to the next or previous song, but I haven't been able to get it to pause and start mid song - I can only start from the beginning of the song. It's a pretty basic playback, but the sound quality is outstanding.

As far as problems go, I had some issues with Media Player 11 and Windows Vista - sometimes, the Onkyo wouldn't see the server on the Vista PC. I never had a problem on my laptop which ran Windows XP, though. I swtiched from Media Player 11 to TVersity, and it runs much more reliably on Vista, and if the server doesn't show up on the screen for some reason, I can easily restart TVersity and everything is fine. Sometimes when the PC goes to sleep, the service stops, but you can over ride that in the powersavings setting in the control panel. There are some moments when the server stops serving (the TVersity status screen says it's working, though) that I haven't quite figured out why, but restarting TVersity fixes it. The neat thing about TVersity is I have access to the music library from every device on my network - my other XP machine, as well as my cell phone/PDA when I'm connected to my wireless network. For some reason, Microsoft won't let XP machines running Media Player 11 receive music streams from other PC's on the LAN, but you can with Vista machines.

Another note: this works with a ton of music file formats but it doesn't work with DRM'ed music files like the stuff you get from Zune or the Apple proprietary formats. You have to take the DRM out of the files and convert them to MP3s. Folks on this site have come up with lots of workarounds to get things to work. Read the fine print in the AVR documentation to know what works and what doesn't.

I really love this feature - I play a lot of CDs that I normally wouldn't play because I'm too lazy to get off the couch and load them into the player. I've freed up a lot of space by getting rid of the CDs, and there is a certain "cool" factor about being able to access your entire collection instantly without having to thumb thru carriers and shelves. I highly recommend this feature, though a lot of people here use Squeezebox, AppleTV, Popcorn Hour, etc. because their interfaces are better, but as with most things, YMMV. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
The "twin" Onkyo TX-NR807. There are some differences between the two but very subtle. MSRP is $50 more for the 807.

As far as I know these are the only Network AVRs even close to this price point. The two year old Denon 3808 also has networking but is not as up to date as the others. I am pretty sure you can buy some of the updates from Denon that you can download to get them closer to the newest AVRs being released.

Outside of the Onkyos and Denon that may be it.

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MikeyW,

Thanks you for the that great explanation.

Sounds like it is a great feature with the usual new technology warts

I think I will go for it.

I have a ReadyNAS that is always running. It supports the following protocols:
  • SlimServer
  • ITunes Streaming Server
  • UPNP AV
  • Home Media Streaming Server

Hopefully, one of those would work. Then, I would not need to keep the system running.

- Rich

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/17030040

The "twin" Onkyo TX-NR807. There are some differences between the two but very subtle. MSRP is $50 more for the 807.

As far as I know these are the only Network AVRs even close to this price point. The two year old Denon 3808 also has networking but is not as up to date as the others. I am pretty sure you can buy some of the updates from Denon that you can download to get them closer to the newest AVRs being released.

Outside of the Onkyos and Denon that may be it.

Thanks for the info. It matches what I am finding after googling for hours.

- Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts