AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a subwoofer that has the lowest Hz possible that costs under $350 to pair with a Yamaha RX-V663BL in a 1400 cubic foot room (for now).

I do not care about volume at ALL, only Hz.

Reading the posts here, I have come up with: (lowest advertised hz, model, lowest price)

18 Hz, ED A2-300, $315

23 Hz, Athena AS-P4100, $150 + ship

24 Hz, BIC H-100, $250

25 Hz, JBL Venue Sub-12, 25 Hz, $200

25 Hz, HSU STF-1, $260

28 Hz, AV123 X-Sub, $159 + $56 Ship= $215

Am I missing any?

The ED is starting to get out of my price range, but it seems to be my best option, correct?

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstyv /forum/post/14264542

28 Hz, AV123 X-Sub, $215....

The av123 X-Sub is on sale for $159 right now.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfred /forum/post/14265955

The av123 X-Sub is on sale for $159 right now.

Last I knew there was an indefinite wait for those too... MLS stopped al shipments to do additional QA after numerous reported problems w/ recently shipped x-subs...

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstyv /forum/post/14264542

I do not care about volume at ALL, only Hz.

[/i]

I'd be careful about thinking of it in that fashion.

Being able to play low HZ is one thing.

Being able to have it be useful is another.

I too have been looking for a sub and or driver that can go lower with some gusto than my current one. If it will, I'll buy it and or build a new cabinet for that particular driver. I am limited in size so it must be a 8-10" driver.

eD had me thinking about it since the hz numbers are lower. But when I modeled their drivers in the 2 programs I use, because of the such low QTS, their -3db point using this software is in the 30's at best vented.

I don't think going by the numbers given by the manufacturers is going to point you even close to the right decision your trying to come up with. All but one give you a minus 3 db rating, one I think is allready faked to give a impression its better. But how fast do all them fall down after their 3 db point, some may not have the ability, and some may be able to generate a 15 hz tone, but so down in db, you'd never hear it.

Unless someone actually measures a eD, their on my suspect list of advertising with the impression to deceive. I can't get any of their box size and drivers matched to them to come close to that 18 spec unless down 20 db or so.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
craigsub has tested the a2-300. it did fairly well and he liked there offering.

i also have 2 of them myself. they are a nice sub.

would be hard to beat at $315. set-up properly it should do you well

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 /forum/post/14266335

craigsub has tested the a2-300. it did fairly well and he liked there offering.

i also have 2 of them myself. they are a nice sub.

would be hard to beat at $315. set-up properly it should do you well

What were the measurements????

While Craigsub has done a fine job, there is alot of data missing that tells me its of his opinion, this ranking system is. And now he has other objectives that these posts of rankings could have been a setup of sorts.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAD2 /forum/post/14266379

What were the measurements????

While Craigsub has done a fine job, there is alot of data missing that tells me its of his opinion, this ranking system is. And now he has other objectives that these posts of rankings could have been a setup of sorts.

i have not measured freq. sweeps

sub hits hard, and shakes the room. good music, and ht.

set-up in a good room is wonderful under $350

i would say much better than others he was looking at

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I know Craig Chase, this was no setup, his ranking system is nice, but people need to take it with a grain of salt, he expects them to. Not even Ilkka has perfect measurements, theres a LOT more to the pie than our graphs tell us, this is where objective reviews from experienced enthusiasts are nice, Craig has a nice panel of people to help him and pool knowledge from, his ranking system isn't nearly as fly by the seat of his pants as I thought.

Here is the part that perplexes me here, the OP only seems interested in depth, depth is useless without spl and fidelity. Many people far more knowledgeable than I have recognized this. In this price bracket, I would be very concerned about just getting decent fidelity from the sub, let alone nice spl or deep bass.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/14266508

I know Craig Chase, this was no setup, his ranking system is nice, but people need to take it with a grain of salt, he expects them to. Not even Ilkka has perfect measurements, theres a LOT more to the pie than our graphs tell us, this is where objective reviews from experienced enthusiasts are nice, Craig has a nice panel of people to help him and pool knowledge from, his ranking system isn't nearly as fly by the seat of his pants as I thought.

Here is the part that perplexes me here, the OP only seems interested in depth, depth is useless without spl and fidelity. Many people far more knowledgeable than I have recognized this. In this price bracket, I would be very concerned about just getting decent fidelity from the sub, let alone nice spl or deep bass.

You have to take it with a grain of salt without -3db measurements and other things. Whats musical to one is not the same as others, specially on the 40hz minus arena.

Also without comparatives, its hard to read within what he has. Most all the subs are from sub only makers, new coming in the market etc. Without named brands within the mix its hard to make a clear judgement of how it stands. Most people can go listen to those and that really aids in judgement or whats what.

And your second paragraph to me says it all also and I'm no guru, good understandings of the basics, but thats it.

There are many a sub that can make a sub 20 hz tone.

Distort while doing it, yes.

No SPL to it, yes.

etc.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAD2 /forum/post/14266286

[/i]

Unless someone actually measures a eD, their on my suspect list of advertising with the impression to deceive. I can't get any of their box size and drivers matched to them to come close to that 18 spec unless down 20 db or so.

I'm curious, when you modeled their subs what port size and tune did you use? I only ask because I was considering building something similar to an A2-300 but using a 6" port tuned to 17Hz in 170L. With this setup it models flat to 17Hz (and then drops off considerably).

From the numbers you're stating it sounds like you may be modeling a sealed system? That's what I eventually decided to go with - 4 sealed boxes ~2cf each with the same driver that's in the A2-300. It modeled pretty bad - similar to what you're describing: down ~25dB at 10Hz but in my room... flat to 7Hz at 108dB (after eQ to bring down a spike at 45Hz but no low end lift being used).

·
Registered
241 Posts
I used the AJ designer downloaded one.

And the MHsoft one from Madison sound.

They were vented designs and sealed were even worse, sometimes in the mid 40's for F3's.

I'm using still a Dayton Reference driver at 8 inches that is models all most identical to the AV123 X sub as far as its abilities.

I don't have any other programs and these are the ones I've plugged many a driver into.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAD2 /forum/post/14268937

I used the AJ designer downloaded one.

And the MHsoft one from Madison sound.

They were vented designs and sealed were even worse, sometimes in the mid 40's for F3's.

I'm using still a Dayton Reference driver at 8 inches that is models all most identical to the AV123 X sub as far as its abilities.
I'm still confused, what was the vented box tuned to?

Also, possibly I'm misreading that statement about the Dayton Reference driver but are you saying you're using a different driver's T/S parameters to model what the eD sub should do? If so you should go to their site, under the car audio section (where they sell drivers individually) and get the T/S parameters from the 13Kv.2 D2 driver, that's the one they're using in the A2-300.

For my models I was using Unibox and WinISD (the standard free programs used to model boxes in the DIY forum) and both gave me the same results using 170L tuned to 17Hz - both modeled flat to 17Hz and with ~200W the driver didn't exceed XMax until around 10Hz.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/14269077

I'm still confused, what was the vented box tuned to?

Also, possibly I'm misreading that statement about the Dayton Reference driver but are you saying you're using a different driver's T/S parameters to model what the eD sub should do? If so you should go to their site, under the car audio section (where they sell drivers individually) and get the T/S parameters from the 13Kv.2 D2 driver, that's the one they're using in the A2-300.

For my models I was using Unibox and WinISD (the standard free programs used to model boxes in the DIY forum) and both gave me the same results using 170L tuned to 17Hz - both modeled flat to 17Hz and with ~200W the driver didn't exceed XMax until around 10Hz.

The MHsoft one linked from Madison sound takes the TS parameters and suggests a port size and box size.

The AJ designer ones allows for different port diameters then calculates a box size etc.

And I'm using a Dayton reference drivers soley because it modeled better than anything to date when I picked it. 1.1 cubic foot box, 2 inch port-8 inches long with a 240 watt amp.

I did use the TS specs from ED's site for every 10 inch and that one 9V at 8.125 because those in boxes should fit within the area I have. Limited to 13 x22x16

·
Registered
1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAD2 /forum/post/14269148

The MHsoft one linked from Madison sound takes the TS parameters and suggests a port size and box size.

The AJ designer ones allows for different port diameters then calculates a box size etc.

And I'm using a Dayton reference drivers soley because it modeled better than anything to date when I picked it. 1.1 cubic foot box, 2 inch port-8 inches long with a 240 watt amp.

I did use the TS specs from ED's site for every 10 inch and that one 9V at 8.125 because those in boxes should fit within the area I have. Limited to 13 x22x16
I think we may be discussing two different things... I was replying to your statement that you didn't believe eD's stated FR for the A2-300 because when you model it you don't get a FR that's flat to 18Hz and because of that you're adding eD to your "suspect" list to not trust their posted +/-3db numbers. I was refuting that as I have modeled the driver that's in the A2-300 and gotten it to model flat to 17Hz...

Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/14269259

I think we may be discussing two different things... I was replying to your statement that you didn't believe eD's stated FR for the A2-300 because when you model it you don't get a FR that's flat to 18Hz and because of that you're adding eD to your "suspect" list to not trust their posted +/-3db numbers. I was refuting that as I have modeled the driver that's in the A2-300 and gotten it to model flat to 17Hz...

Sorry for the confusion.

NO, NO confusion here at all.

I can't get any of their drivers and box sizing to get flat to 18hz using those 2 programs I listed.

If I could get them there, then I may build another box and use one of their drivers. Since I can't get them there, then I can't rely upon what they advertise.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts