AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on building a HTPC you guys have already steered me away from the upcoming pintrail and informed me that you can have time recording set up with the computer in sleep mode. Thanks.

I was thinking of building a system based on the 785g chipset and a athlon II x2. I think that I'm going to go with a pentium dual core and the zotac itx board because I like the idea of the mini ITX form factor. My question is what is the minimum speed pentium or even celeron needed to do everything a HTPC should do.

HD dvr

blue ray player

hulu player

I was thinking

ZOTAC GF9300-D-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300 HDMI WiFi Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

Pentium E5200 Wolfdale

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
E5300 (the same price as E5200) is a good choice. If budget allows, go for E6300/E6500 (just released)/E7500. (I am not sure if BIOS supports E6500/E6500K.)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro /forum/post/16990389

I am planning on building a HTPC you guys have already steered me away from the upcoming pintrail and informed me that you can have time recording set up with the computer in sleep mode. Thanks.

Would you mind pointing me to the thread?

Quote:
ZOTAC GF9300-D-E LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9300 HDMI WiFi Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

Pentium E5200 Wolfdale

I had an E5400 and its full processing power was never needed for the tasks you describe. Therefore, the cheaper and cooler E5200 should be quite sufficient.

I have an E6300 now, but it is more expensive and generates more heat.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/16990654

E5300 (the same price as E5200) is a good choice. If budget allows, go for E6300/E6500 (just released)/E7500. (I am not sure if BIOS supports E6500/E6500K.)

I was trying to pick up a e5200 today, microcenter had 1 and one only at my store for $49.99. Needless to say I was to late and upset.

I'd say if you can spend $120 on newegg for a e7500, buy a q8200 from microcenter for $120 or, e7400 for $80, e8200 for $99

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunnill /forum/post/16990937

I have an E6300 now, but it is more expensive and generates more heat.

How much power increase do you see? (Close to 0 watt at idle/video playback.)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunnill /forum/post/16990937

Would you mind pointing me to the thread?
Here and here .

An E5200 is certainly sufficient for any standard HTPC tasks. The only reason to move up to anything beyond the E5200 series is if you intend to transcode a lot of blu-ray rips into x.264.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The key is you want the 65 watt CPUs to go with a mini-itx motherboard. Newegg lets you filter for them in the advanced search. The Zotac Geforce 9300 is the best you can get for ITX. Not that its anywhere near perfect. Zotac has had some problems in their motherboard were the computers will not resume from S3 sleep using a usb input device. That is a major bummer if you are looking to build a mini htpc. The good news is they fixed the designs. But the bad news is it takes so close examination to find the new motherboards and no one really knows if they are buying a new fixed board or not. Zotac has decided not to call it a fixed bug but rather a new feature. That way everyone with problem boards are up the river with no paddle.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/16991026

How much power increase do you see? (Close to 0 watt at idle/video playback.)

In my experience, a G31 and E5400 generates significantly less heat than a G45 and E6300.

Come to think of it, the chipset may have been a big factor.

·
Registered
548 Posts
This sounds like an excellent system I'd like to put together.

Can someone recommend some good components with the emphasis on very quiet that I could throw together? The mobo mentioned here sounds great with the E5200..

Case

Ram

Any fans needed?

I'm assmuning I can throw in a 500gb 5400rpm Laptop Hard Drive

Should be all I need.

Josh

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshFink /forum/post/16994990

Can someone recommend some good components with the emphasis on very quiet that I could throw together?

I'm working on a build with a Zotac 9300 ITX board and an E5200 CPU. My current choices for the remaining components:

Case - Athenatech A1089

CPU cooler - Thermalright AXP140

Cooler fan - XIGMATEK XLF-F1453

Case fan - Silenx IXP-54

RAM - OCZ Gold 4GB (anything without a tall heatsink should be fine)

The AXP140 is huge, so I may have to mount the 80mm fan on the outside of the case. If so, it won't bother me much. I also may have to make "special arrangements" for mounting the hard drive, which should be fun. You could eliminate any possibility of difficulty by using either the Silverstone NT07 or the stock Intel CPU cooler. They won't be as cool or quiet, but they'll definitely fit.

The only wildcard is the included PSU. There are reports of it being pretty crappy. I'll give it a shot, but if it doesn't work out I'll replace it with a PicoPSU 150.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshFink /forum/post/16994990

Can someone recommend some good components with the emphasis on very quiet

I'm assmuning I can throw in a 500gb 5400rpm Laptop Hard Drive

Unless they changed them recently, the WD Green drives are all 5400rpm, too. Got one. Quiet, of course.

My HD HTPC played everything fine with a now-wimpy e2140 at 1.6ghz. Adding noise reduction and other heavy filters jacked the CPU up near the end zone, but it was still ok. It OC'd easily to 2.8+ anyway, but at 1.6 it still did the job. Pretty much anything nowadays will have no problem playing HD.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.