AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally decided to upgrade my old Infocus projector and have decided on either the AE200 or Sanyo Z1. While the AE200 has a longer bulb life, I think I would regret not getting the higher resolution of the Z1. However, that could change depending on replacement lamp costs. I can find a price for the Panasonic lamp, but not one for the Sanyo. Has anyone priced out replacement lamp costs yet?

I have read other opinions and am more likely to opt for the Z1, however, before I do, I have a couple of questions. Which is the quieter projector in real life situations? Is the picture of the Z1 noticably better, bearing in mind I mostly watch cable and dvd? Are there any problems inverting and ceiling mounting either projector?

Finally, after reading the Z1 manual, do I have to turn the Sanyo off using the on/off switch after turning it off with the remote. I know the AE200 turns off all cooling fans and sits in standby after about 90 seconds, but it seems like the Z1 has a cooling fan that will run all night unless I power the projector off. Does anyone with a Z1 have the answer? I plan to ceiling mount the Z1 and do not want to have to touch the power switch once the projector is mounted.

Thanks for your assistance.

james

·
Registered
697 Posts
I don't think that lamp replacement costs should be a problem if you are planning are replacing your projector in couple of years. With the Z1 lamp life, you can watch 3 hours of material every day for a year straight. That is if the lamp life is 3000 hours. I think it is.

brian

·
Registered
22 Posts
If the bulb life of the Z1 is 3000 hours, you could use it 3 hours a day for over 2 and a half years before you should need a new bulb (2737 hours).

I did see one vendor list the PLV-Z1 bulb price at US$430, but that seems high to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can also just go with the SE version and get the package price ($1999) which includes extra bulb and mount. They by the way quoted $399 for the replacement bulb. This is a great price if you need all three. I only got the projector and mount, and since I will only use it for less than 10 hrs a week... It would take me almost 4 years to use up the bulb even at high power mode!

The only bad thing about getting the extra bulb is that both bulbs only have the initial 120 days warranty because they won't be able to tell when you started using the second bulb or not. This situation is for the worst case scenario if after your first bulb burns out and you put in the second bulb.... but it burns out before 120 days. No luck for replacement there!

Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am ordering the projector from Japan as I can't get the SE version on this side of the planet. So I guess all I need now is to know that the projector switches into a fanless standby mode and does not leave a cooling fan running all the time.

Something else I forgot to ask, how does the Z1 handle PAL, no problems?

Thanks again.

james

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yah, that sounds like the "special edition" doesn't it? It's actually the Studio Experience (Boxlight) somewhat altered version of the Sanyo product, with a darker case, longer warranty, repairs done in U.S., and (probably) better tech support by phone or e-mail. Available as a package with extra lens and ceiling mount, or on its own, at a price similar to the Sanyo product. I was about to post a link :eek: but suddenly remembered my avsf manners. Easy enough to find their website. Their HQ is near Seattle.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Don't even bother with the ae200. Go for the z1. Seriously. It has the higher res, more adjustable settings, and it WILL have the better picture. Why? Because it has the better contrast and (my guess) better colour reproduction since the z1 is superior to the ae100 in that regard. The biggest key here is the higher contrast ratio. With the z1 you'll get better blacks, more shadow detail and the image will have more depth. So many people here have no concept of that. Contrast ratio (assuming colour reproduction is good) is the key to a stellar looking image..

I have the z1 (upgrading from the ae100 whihc I really like) and it produces a fantastic image. I am quite sure the ae200 will look like the ae100 but with better contrast so I have a pretty good idea what it will look like. The z1 is quite a bit better than the ae100. Logic only says it will be better than the ae200.

Honestly....it shouldn't even be a choice. If anything, you should be wondering if the ae300 would be worth the extra couple hundred bucks over the z1 for your situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.