AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the "optimum" method of setting of aspect ratio on the LP340? Currently, I set my DVD player to 16:9 mode, and then set the projector to "enhanced widescreen". This works fine, but when I switch to 4:3 for TV or VHS, I have to re-zoom the projector to fit the image on the screen. Is there a better way to handle this? I'd like to get a 16:9 screen, but still watch 4:3 material on occasion.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am assuming that what you want to do is to have a 16:9 screen, and when watching 4:3 material have it show up in the middle of your 16:9 screen (with black bars on the sides).

There really isn't an easy way to do this. You can get an external scaler with this ability (maybe, not sure which one) or you could use an HTPC and YxY to handle your aspect ratios. The LP350 has a native mode which will do this for you, but not the 340. On the 340, the native mode is only a little smaller than full panel.

When I was considering the 340, I figured my best bet was a custom sized screen that is somewhere between 4:3 and 16:9, so that when I used the native mode it filled the screen vertically (with vertical black bars) and when I used 16:9 mode it filled the screen horizontally (with horizontal black bars - only smaller than would be on a 4:3 screen).

Hopefully that isn't too confusing.

·
Registered
846 Posts
With no suitable native mode, your options narrow to manual zoom, a smaller 16x9 picture with black bars, watching 4:3 material with short fat people on the 16:9 screen, buying an external scaler that would handle this, or fiddling with an HTPC.

--Les

[This message has been edited by arrow (edited 05-29-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.