AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought an Infocus LP340. It looks great but when there is a lot of blue in the picture it looks wrong. In some areas it is al to bright and "pixelated". If i turn down the contrast or color it will disappear, but then the picture will be to dark or colorless.

Have anyone experienced the same?

I use a Denon DVD 3000 connected to the Lp340 through a S-vhs cable.

I hope you can understand what i mean, otherwise I can take a picture of it in a couple of days and post it.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Try different better quality Svideo cable, component cable, or HTPC source.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
 www.pccables.com has cheap but quality Svideo or VGA cables. I have a 15 feet VGA male to VGA male from them and could not be happier (no ghosting or color artifacts). www.a2zcables.com has a VGA-->Component cable for $40 for 20 footer that has good reviews by our member as well. Of course if you want to spend big bucks for the name www.bettercables.com will meet your needs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, but after trying a few things tonight i don't think better cables will do it alone.

I connected my PC to the projector through vga cable, but the problem remains. It is only in scenes with a lot of blue. In the opening scene from The Abyss, where the alien drone passes over the sub for the first time, the light from the drone is way to bright. Instead of being a bright light source it becomes a bright blue "blob". When decreasing the color saturation the effect disappears but the picture is then almost colorless. I have calibrated the projector using the THX tests included on DVD's, and the picture is absolutely perfect except for this problem.

I will try to borrow a digital camera tomorrow and the post some pictures.

·
Registered
388 Posts
From what you've described this sounds something like a problem I had with my initial Compaq MP1600 almost two years ago. Blues would "clip" if contrast or brightness were turned too high. You can test if this is your problem by looking at a blue color ramp, which you may find somewhere on a calibration disk (or maybe someone here has one ready made you can download and view in your browser).

I thought this problem was related to the "banding" that people were complaining about with XGA DLP's a year or two ago. Now I'm not sure whether it was or not.

Anyway, when viewing a blue color ramp, the ramp would look okay at low contrast and brightness levels. When I turned brightness and contrast up, however, the most saturated blue levels would clip to a whitish blue instead of to the most saturated blue.

This problem affected parts of an image that were pure blue most obviously, but also affected any other colors that used blue as a component (i.e., lots of other colors).

I assume it was some sort of firmware problem. The projector was replaced by Compaq with a unit that didn't have the problem. -- Herb

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is exactly the same problem I am having. The problem is that my contrast and brightness isn't set very high and if i adjust them, so the effect disappears, the picture it way to dark.

Have anybody else with a Infocus LP340 had this problem, and if so what did you do to fix it?

My projector have bios version 1.8, will 1.9 or never fix it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, now that I know that the effect is called banding I was able to find more info about it. As far as I understand it occurs because the colorwheel needs to be aligned/adjusted, or rather the colorwheel sensor.

As my projector is new I think I will just return it to my dealer, for replacement, instead of trying to fix the problem myself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to my local dealer yesterday to demo the problem for him. Guess what, it didn't occur :eek:(. I have had the LP340 for 2 weeks and nothing but problems, not one minute without the "banding" problem. The LP340 went back to repair though because of the reset bug.

After I came home I started to wonder if the banding can be caused by noise in the power where I live? Have anyone experienced that?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
It could be partly due to the bios on the projector. Does your projector have saturation and tint controls? If not try the HTPC and tweak the colors from there. it might help. And it could be as you said the power and other interference from the home. Move the projector somewhere else with the DVD player and plug it in to a different circuit. see if that works

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My projector has saturation and tint controls, but it doesn't fix the problem, unless I turn contrast and saturation all the way down.

I only have one circuit, so I was thinking about using a power line conditioner of some sort. Do anyone have any experiences with power line conditioners?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I boroughed a LP130 from my dealer and it worked perfect at the store, but has the same problem as my LP340 at my place. It must be noise in the power circuit. I guess I will have to buy a power line conditioner and pray that it will do the trick.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Please post us again after you try that. I am curious to see if that was the problem

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.