AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This incredible price of $2950 shipped for the NEC LT150 is giving me second thoughts on purchasing an Infocus LP340. Allow me to explain my particular situation, and let me know if the LT150 is the better purchase.

The projector will be used for DVD viewing. Most cable TV viewing will be done on a separate smaller television, but occasionally I'd like to watch TV on the projector. DVD viewing will only be done via an S-video link from my DVD player, and I'd of course buy an external scaler for the LT150. I'll be sitting about 8-9 feet away from a 62.5" diagonal screen.

Since I need a pull-down screen, my options there are limited, and since these cost more and I have set a $4000 upper limit for everything, there are further issues.

I can buy an LP340, ceiling mount, and Stewart Greyhawk tensioned manual pulldown screen for $3900 with shipping included.

My other option seems to be an LT150, DVDO Iscan, and a cheaper screen. That screen would be a Dalite Hipower (2.8 gain) screen I suppose (~$400). I'd have to buy a non-tensioned manual pulldown, as the electic ones are way too expensive. Would a non-tensioned (yet "Heavy Duty") screen work? I guess this is the deciding factor in the purchase, as it is the only way I can keep the LT150 purchase under $4000.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've seen both the Infocus LP350 and the LT150 in my living room and I bought the LT150. I'm very happy with it. The LP350 had a better internal scaler, but it didn't have nearly as good of blacks and the whites were too harsh (watching hockey was totally impossible with the LP350). The killer for me was that the LP350 wouldn't do 480p and didn't have component inputs.

At this price, I'd go with the LT150, a DVDo iscan v2 (~$400), and a Dalite hipower (if you do have any ambient light) or spectravideo (complete darkness) screen. You should be able to get all that for well under $4K.

Check out www.cousinsvideo.com for screens.

-Dave

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only concern though with that option is that with a pull-down screen lacking tensioning, the screen will be have wrinkles, especially given that I will be pulling it up and down often. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave E in TX:
I've seen both the Infocus LP350 and the LT150 in my living room and I bought the LT150. I'm very happy with it. The LP350 had a better internal scaler, but it didn't have nearly as good of blacks and the whites were too harsh (watching hockey was totally impossible with the LP350). The killer for me was that the LP350 wouldn't do 480p and didn't have component inputs.
The killer for me on the LP350 was the color dynamic range (improved color and associated black level on the LT150), the lack of keystone correction in the svideo mode (since I didn't have component as an input option -- and even the LT150 keystone works with s-video). Trying to level the LP350 to zero keystone was a pain in the rear if anyone tried. Manual zoom is a lot easier to deal with.

That said I would like the following LT150 improvements incorporated in future versions:

* Zoom

* Less noise

* Longer bulb life

* Cheaper bulbs

* DVI input

------------------

- Balance Between

- Quality & Price!

------------------

Editor of the Skyworth FAQ page at:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003495.html

[This message has been edited by Yahoo (edited 07-07-2001).]

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I've just replaced a 340 with an NEC LT85, the SVGA version. The LT85 (IMHO) is better im pretty much all respects.

In fact I think the Sharp M10S clone is better was well.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
James_T,

You might want to read this thread for some more comments about LT150 vs. LP350. I think Les playing devil's advocate listed up the shortcomings of the LT150 quite well. I have one on order now - so I'm not recommending you skip it, just read the thread and get a proper feel of whether this projector is for you.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006970.html

I'm going to be using mine with the Skyworth 1050p progressive player mostly so the scaler issue isn't an issue for me. The few times when I watch something else the source material will probably suck anyway so I don't see the point in using an expensive scaler.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James_T:
<snip>

My other option seems to be an LT150, DVDO Iscan, and a cheaper screen. That screen would be a Dalite Hipower (2.8 gain) screen I suppose (~$400). </snip>
I think you'd be pretty unhappy watching a DLP like the LT150 on a 2.8 gain screen. Hihg gain screens tend to make the rainbow effect much more noticeable.

------------------

----

Darren Rogers

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
James,

I'd like to tackle one of your questions. I imagine my answer will ruffle some feathers because it is diametrically

opposite to what seems to be the accepted thinking for a long time. Which is that a non-tensioned pull down screen should not be an option because of the wrinkles.

I've been using pull downs for 4 years. Matte white, glass

beaded, perforated, Stewarts, Dalite HP and others. Before I

ever hung the first one I had read the warnings about

wrinkles and had expectations that it was going to be a real

problem. Bottom line is that I've found it to be no big deal. Yes, I can see some waves (wrinkles if you like) in

my pull downs but when the image is projected it becomes

very difficult for me to see. I use pull downs with both

digital and CRT projectors. A wrinkle would be even more of a problem for my CRT projectors because it would result in

both focusing and convergence problems. But I don't see it. I think the effect is so subtle that it's analogous to

what is being discussed in the current thread about audio

obsessions. So don't have fears about using a pull down

screen. I think it's possible that some may have had examples of pull downs with either badly manufactured screen material or assembly problems which may have resulted in unusually pronounced wrinkles. But I've never seen it.

p.s. only thing though is that the Dalite HP was designed to be used with table mounted projectors. If trying to use it with a ceiling mounted projector (if that's your intent) you will lose the benefit of it's high gain performance.

Bob Wood

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 07-08-2001).]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow guys, thanks for all of the replies. I've actually read all of the comparisons that have been posted comparing the LP350 and LT150. Given that I am comparing the LT150 to the LP340 myself here I guess there really is no comparison.

I do want the IScan though just because it is a universal solution even if most of my viewing will be DVDs.

I guess what it comes down to now are two issues:

1) What screen is best to purchase for the LT150. It seems some people here are not in favor of the Dalite Hipower screen, and I actually have read here that this screen seems to bring out the rainbow effect further. Also I do need to ceiling mount, so I suppose I'd lose one of the biggest benefits of this screen. So what screen (must be manual or electic pulldown) should I go for? I need to keep this at $700 or less, but that's a little bit flexible.

2) What ceiling mount do people use for the LT150?

Thanks for all the help so far.

[This message has been edited by James_T (edited 07-08-2001).]

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Dodds:
I've just replaced a 340 with an NEC LT85, the SVGA version. The LT85 (IMHO) is better im pretty much all respects.

In fact I think the Sharp M10S clone is better was well.
Steve,

Does the LT85 have most of the features and performance of the LT150? Would the picture be better than the LP340 if we were to use a progressive DVD player (Denon DVD-2800) instead of HTPC?

Would appreciate more feedback / comments about the LT85? Thanks.

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, and in addition to my last two questions I'm also curious which line doubler to get (DVDO IScan v2?) and where to get the best price on that. I saw some new ones for $450 on ebay, and that would be fine but the cheaper the better.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
The LT85 is the LT150 with SVGA resolution. In all other respects they are the same.

For DVD the two would be pretty same, with the LT150 looking maybe a hair sharper.

For HDTV the increased resolution of the LT150 would be more evident.

I paid $1900 for my LT85. If I were looking at the normal street prices of around $2400, I would go for the extra bucks and get the LT150 for $2900.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Dodds:
The LT85 is the LT150 with SVGA resolution. In all other respects they are the same.

For DVD the two would be pretty same, with the LT150 looking maybe a hair sharper.

For HDTV the increased resolution of the LT150 would be more evident.

I paid $1900 for my LT85. If I were looking at the normal street prices of around $2400, I would go for the extra bucks and get the LT150 for $2900.

Thanks, Steve. Where'd you get the NEC LT 85 for $1900? Would be using the projector mainly for DVD, no HDTV here. Screen is 16:9 72" width, viewing distance 10 feet. Would the LT 85 do?

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I got it on eBay. I have an 80x60 High Power screen and am 15 feet back. I don't think your screen and size would be a huge problem.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.