AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the LP340 in my home for about a week now. I am pretty much echoing what was said by others on this board, but I figured I'd give my opinion anyway.

Pros

-----

Great Scaler

Good pixel structure (invisible at normal viewing distances)

Decent brightness

Quiet

Overall picture on bright/colorful scenes is excellent

Cons

----

Light halo is annoying but not a deal breaker

Blacks are not that impressive

Not very "tweakable" (brightness, contrast, color, and tint...that's it)

Rainbows are bad (to me)

It is the rainbows that really have me ready to send it back for something else. I found them mildly distracting in Gladiator, which had many high contrast scenes. The more things I watch, the more I notice them. It's too bad, because I thought that this was going to be the one. Other than the rainbows I really have no complaints.

Overall I would say it is a good home theater projector, excellent value for the money, assuming of course that the rainbows don't drive you crazy. As for me, I think I might need to check out one of the newer LCD units.

· Registered
846 Posts
A few other questions:

Have you calibrated the system with VE to make sure your whites are not blooming?

Do you have full control of ambient light?

Can you point out a scene in gladiator that consistently shows this (i.e. Chapter/time/length)? I'd like to do an analysis on my lp350.

--Les

· Registered
199 Posts
Out of curiosity,

What type of screen material/surface are you using? Is it white or gray (painted)? I also saw the rainbows in Gladiator (the torches were bad) but have been seeing a lot less of them after I did two things. First, I use a painted screen with a light grey (check out the screens forum for more info), and second I used a FLD filter.

Just some suggestions,

Jay

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using a homemade blackout cloth screen that is white, not grey. I calibrated the unit using the THX Optimode feature on one of the DVD's (my copy of Avia just showed up today). I don't have control of my lighting yet (my theater isn't done yet) so I have to wait for nightfall before testing.

I'll try to check again and see what specific scenes I found to be full of rainbows. If that is as bad as it gets, I can probably live with it, but I may look into a different proj.

· Registered
84 Posts

When I first got my LP340 the rainbows were really bad. But over time they've gotten much easier to deal with. I think getting the Stewart Greyhawk screen helped the most with the rainbow. Also, I mainly use my HTPC for watching TV/DVDs now and with the HTPC the brightness/contrast overlay controls work much better than the LP340 controls. So with the HTPC I can actually increase the brightness a little bit(yes this does reduce the overall contrast ratio, and increases black level) so I don't see the rainbow effect as much.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.