AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the LP350 after reading all the excellent reviews and comments on this board.

Well it turned out to be a very big dissapointment. The colors are terrible and washed out. I am using a satellite fed S-Video signal. I tried a dvd with my htpc the picture was clearer with better resolution but the colors are still terrible, especially the reds. I do not have a screen yet, I am projecting the image on a white blackout fabric.

I am comparing the picture to my Sony 53" HS10 RPTV which in my opinion has one of the best pictures I have ever seen both in color and quality with its DRC line doubler.

I plan on packing the projector up and kissing away a 10% restocking fee.

I did read Grant Smyth's reviews and comparisons between the LP350 and the LT150 but decided on the Infocus for three main reasons:

1. LP350 has Zoom

2. LP350 has an excellent line doubler/scaler

3. LP350's cheaper bulb with 2000hrs vs 1000 for the LT150

I had never imagined that the color would be that terrible on the LP350.

Since the PL350 is the first FP I have ever actually seen working with video can anybody tell me how the Nec LT150 would compare to my Sony HS10?

Are there any projectors at a reasonable price that would give a picture similar to the Sony HS10?

Sorry Grant, I should have given more weight to your review, now I am very skeptical and would like to see before I buy.

Peter H

·
Registered
846 Posts
Sorry you are disappointed with the LP350. Your report definitely does not match my experiences with this projector.

A couple of things you might want to try before you ship it back.

Close off any ambient light. You will experience a washed out effect on any FP system unless you can fully control the ambient light.

Calibrate with VE. I had to move quite a few ticks on the color calibration to saturate the colors. Also, my contrast needed to be set down to eliminate blooming and my brightness up for proper black.

Best of luck.

--Les

·
Registered
846 Posts
One other suggestion:

If you have a digital camera, take a few pics and post them. It would be interesting to see what you're looking at.

You might also want to search the forum for the pictures I posted to the forum. From these I think you might see why I find washed out as a very strange description of the LP350.

--Les

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Peter,

you should definately play around with it a little more while you still have it. you may just stumble across the 'fix' thru dumb-luck.

i'm almost in the same position as you. i love my HS10, have never used a FP before, but would love have a larger, projected, more movie-like experience. But the picture out of this RP may be spoiling me.

i've been reading a little about the LP350, there was a fairly glowing review of it here, and there's a good FAQ on the net about it, but after reading that and your experience, i don't think this will be the right one for me either.

in fact, i ruled it out fairly quickly after hearing about the in-flexibility of this player in regards to picture adjustments.

i'm interested in the LT150 also, as an inexpensive option, but this seems to be kind of a draw, because the optimum picture with this will be derived w/ a HTPC which will tack another $2k onto the total price, bringing it up to the cost of the Sony LCD, running with just a dvd player.

i'm also concerned about rainbows and halos along with bulb cost. Alan G. seems to have found tweaks to get the blacks/contrast up on the 10HT(my only real concerns with the LCD), and now i'm leaning towords that.

if you already have the HTPC, it sounds like the LT150 could be THE great budget alternative. Grant wasn't the only one posting positive things about it.

i wish you luck and if you do try it out, i hope you'll post a detailed review of what you think.

the restocking fee is a pain, but at least your not stuck with it. knowledge costs money -what are ya gonna do?

[This message has been edited by ckolchak (edited 05-27-2001).]

·
Registered
203 Posts
Although it is true that with most source material it's difficult to get accurate reds on the LP350, it's the first I heard about color saturation problems in proper viewing conditions. Any front projection setup with high ambient light levels will show washed out colors, but so will most RPTVs to perhaps a lessor extant. I would double check with a variety of source material, lower the light conditions in the room, and perhaps adjust the contrast/brightness/color controls to see if anything makes a difference. It could also be a defect in your unit, since people who come over to view my projector in action that are used to RPTVs usually have their jaw dropped, say nothing, and salivate a great deal.

Gerry

------------------

Skyhawk

- Infocus LP350

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Hey Peter, It's kinda hard to compare a huge picture to a 53" Sony. I owned rear projection, including the Sony, And your colors will usually be better. If you shrink the picture down to 53" the colors will be better and the picture will be smoother. The reason for FPTV is size. Yes there are a FEW trade offs but the size on movies is a dramitic improvement!!! That said, for DSS I've tried a few different projectors and NONE of them look that great on DSS. Now DVD on the other hand looks spectacular on FPTV. With the 350, a Grayhawk made a marked improvement. If colors are what you are after look to LCD (with a minor amount of screendoor)The NEC LT155 looks great. Also as said above if your room is not dark you WILL NOT be able to compare to RPTV. I made the switch and am very glad I did.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Peter,

Members of this forum have had some success using various colour filters with the LP350 - do a search and you'll get the information you need. These filters are inexpensive and easily purchased from photography stores. This should be a fun experiment for you and you may get some very positive results.

Cheers,

Grant Smyth

·
Registered
297 Posts
Try a grey screen (paint your blackout fabric with a light grey paint). I began using a 7'-wide DIY grey screen about 2 weeks after I purchased my LP350, and perceived color and contrast improved dramatically. I am generally very satisfied with the picture, especially the sharpness of the image (all LCD projectors that I saw had an intolerable screen door effect). I was watching the 6th Day tonight, and the picture was excellent. Try to look at a well-produced DVD if you really want to evaluate the picture quality.

Dave

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your encouraging replies.

Les, I just had a look at your photos and the colors are better than mine. Even without the filter the red on the police car looks better. I will see if I can get some photos and post them somewhere for you to compare. I am starting to wonder if I have a defective unit. My firmware version is 1.9 I wonder if this has anything to do with this.

My next step is to try and calibrate the projector with an Avia DVD I have lying around somewhere.

I'll also see if I could do something the screen and filters.

Peter

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have never seen a crt based RPTV or a direct view consumer monitor ever produce accurate reds (I mean real RED not orange red)something to do with the phosphers used in consumer products. I wasn't very satisfied with the reds of the LP350 until I used the FLD filter or my pink screen. Now I am able to attain true red that I feel surpass the afore mentioned products.

53" vs. 120" - no comparison, size is everything.

Washed out - not when set up properly with ambient light control.

Sony DRC vs. Infocus image processing - I've seen the latest sony widescreen HDTV-RPTV unit (can't remember model number) with DVD and the artifacts were terrible.

The following are some sceen shots I did for an earlier post of mine. They were meant to give members an idea of the differences between a grey wall, grey wall - fld filter and pink screen - no filter.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=12144333&f=0

As other members have posted if you have a minimum return period then please use it and experiment.

Have fun! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Regards

GMan

·
Registered
279 Posts
FLD filters can be purchased from any good quality photographic supply outlet.

To hold the filter in place is used a high tech device used to attach dissimalar components... Masking Tape. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Regards

GMan

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After a week of experimenting with the LP350 I have made the decision to return it.

My main complaint is the color accuracy.

I compared a 53" projected image with my Sony RPTV HS10 and to my surprise the LP350 won. The image was very bright and crisp and the colors looked pretty good. As I increased the image size I lost brightness and color to a point where at 100" diagonal size, the picture was washed and the colors just got worse. These tests were conducted using the s-video input with a direct tv receiver.

As far as the HTPC is concerned the image is very bright and pleasing. PC games look awesome and playing DVDs with Power DVD was excellent. The colors were still a bit off but very acceptable.

I am now considering the Sanyo XP21N. Since I am new to all this I am not quite sure if the screen door effect will be a problem. Considering all the reviews I read it does not seem to be a big problem with MLA etc...

I apologise for the short review but I wrote quite an extensive review earlier today and when I tried to post it, I got the message the server was being tested for an upgrade and consequently lost everything.

Peter H.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Of course it could all come to down to your eye and taste. However, I've found the colors to be outstanding on my 96" screen. While using Avia will help you, I don't think the difference will be big enough to change your perceptions. I found the projector quite good out of the box. Yes it needed tuning, however, this did not create a life changing experience. I would categorize this as a tweak more than a big change.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problem with this projector there is hardly anything to fine tune. I tried calibrating it with AVIA but no matter what I tried the color adjustments were off, I could never get a good red.

What type of screen are you using? Maybe this is my problem, I am using a DIY screen made out of blackout fabric.

It would be interesting to get feedback from happy LP350 owners on the types of screens they are using.

Peter

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
This thread should provide great advice to someone

who is new to all this and is shopping for his first

digital projector. If several thousand bucks is a big

investment to you (and I think it is to most of us) then

do not choose a projector model based solely on the opinions

you read. Either (1) see an in-person demonstration of

the unit or (2) buy it with a right of return and no

restock fee. I know that either is not always easy

but this WILL save you from being very dissapointed.

Bob Wood

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Scott,

I truly am as green as a turnip when it comes to

trying to understand even the fundamentals of all

this technology. I've never been more challenged

by anything than I am with trying to get up to speed

with the advanced participants of this hobby (most of

whom are my junior).

I read stuff on the Net for several years before

discovering this forum. Most of it was inane jabber

in comparison. I never cease to be amazed by some of

the technical knowledge I encounter here. I understand

very little of it but I'm trying.

My previous reply to this thread results from many years of experience as a peddler (and a consumer). And four years of sampling video projectors. But I'm still a "newbie" to

home theater and I'll continue to be a newbie for a long time to come.

p.s. let's just say I feel as young as the photo. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.