AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16:9 screen. I use native mode for 4:3 material to place the 4:3 picture in the middle of the 16:9 screen. Today, I got to thinking about how much of the DMD I was actually using when in native mode.


Standard 4:3 is projected at 72x96 (6912 sq in) and uses 100% resolution.


16:9 material is projected at 54x96 (5184 sq in) and uses 75% resolution. The other 25% is essentially occupied by black bars (aka: not used).


When I project 4:3 material in native mode, it places the image in the middle of the 16:9 frame at 54x72 (3888 sq in). That could mean 1 of 2 things. The projector is scaling the picture down and using 100% of the DMD. Or it could also just be using 56%.


Anyone know what the LP350 does? Also, feel free to dispute my math if it is incorrect.


--Les
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
As far as I understand, Native Mode means "native mode". In other words, not scaling the image up or down. For NTSC that of course means you will be using a portion of the DMD pixels to produce the image. I'm not sure about the math, but certainly 56% sounds close considering NTSC sources and the 1024x768 DMD. Depending on your 4:3 source material, scaling the image up can give pretty terrible results, especially with regular cable TV. The advantage of native mode is that these imperfections aren't scaled up and exaggerated. The smaller picture looks more acceptable also. Another strategy for 4:3 source material that's less than perfect is to reduce its size while in standard mode via the manual zoom. Course this probably wont reduce the size enough for it to fit on your screen and is a hassle in any case.


Gerry



------------------

Skyhawk

- Infocus LP350
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Les


Although less than 100% of the DMD is used to project an image, in native mode there is no loss of resolution based on the resolution of the source material. The source material is usually scaled to "fit" the DMD in other modes, but this adds size and brightness, not resolution.


Dave
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top