AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I joined the forum about 7-8 mo's ago and knew very little about FP. Thanks to everyone here I've learned much more. In Feb. it seems everyone thought the Infocus LP350 was "the machine" to buy under $5000. Now it seems to have fallen out of favor as little is said about it any longer. I DID BUY ONE! And while I am sure some of the newest machines under $5k may be better, I am wondering JUST HOW MUCH BETTER? Sure DILA'S, Seleco's, DWIN, and others are better for much more $$$. So my question to you 350 owners is:

Are you ready to trade up, if so which machines if your budget allowed you to sell your 350, and spend another $3500 would you buy? I'm guessing marker value for the 350 now might be $2500, giving you $6k to spend.

I must say while it is not perfect, showing it on a 100" Greyhawk all my friends are extremely impressed. I see some "crawlies" occasionally, no rainbow effect, and no one complains about the color, except me in my head because I do know for many more dollars there is much better contrast and color.

Are we ready to trade up for the new Infocus HT machine when released, will it be worth it in contrast and color and brightness? Or is there another contender given maybe a sale of the existing 350 and another say $3500 to spend.

Or, do many of us still believe as I do that the 350 with it's internal scaling is still a great machine in the under $5000 catagory?

This ought to be interesting, pls. reply!

Thank you,

Dave

PS: Maybe my biggest complaint is that just before I lower the screen watching the same movie on the 36" Sony XBR 400 I do notice a tremendous difference in brightness. Would'nt this also be true of Seleco's, DILA's, etc.?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I had a LP350 for a long time and felt through experimenting with different combinations of screens, HTPC, and DVD Players that I wrung out the maximum performance. I highly recommend the Panasonic RV80 DVD Player for this projector. This Player if tweaked properly with its extensive internal menus will give you a 20% increase in picture quality over any other reasonably priced DVD Player. The LP350 at its best can be very acceptable in todays market. If you want to sell your LP350(I would hold out for closer to $3,000)and spend another 2500-3000 you could get a projector with a lot of brightness and some improvement in picture quality. If you want the glow of a TV set coming off your screen a projector with at least 2200-3000 Ansi lumens will help. I certainly feel anyone who has a LP350 has the makings of a good home theatre and with the great internal scaler it makes things a lot simpler. Many projectors that cost several thousands more come with scalers that are unusable. If you have the funds available and you don't mind spending I would definitely upgrade, but the LP350 is still an excellent machine and a good machine to live with while we watch the projector companies begin to hit critical mass in terms of both improved and more refined technology and MUCH lower prices.

Lenny

·
Registered
280 Posts
Dave:

I had the 350 for almost a month before returning it. I really liked that projector, except for one "deal-breaker." When I adjusted the settings to achieve good black level and shadow detail, then the whites in bright scenes were much too hot and lost their detail. By the time I adjusted the brightness and contrast to restore the detail in bright areas, my shadow details were gone. If not for this one aspect of the projector's performance, I would still have it, and I bought mine BEFORE the light spill was fixed and while $4900 was a good price.

Since then I have tried an NEC VT540, which the 350 surpasses easily in resolution and film-like clarity, though the NEC (in 700-lumen eco-mode) did have controllable whites and good contrast. The "video" look and lack of sharpness of the NEC made that a short audition, however.

I now have the Mitshubishi X80U (also about to go back), a new LCD model with superb color, excellent sharpness, and a surprisingly inoffensive screen door, but it cannot match the black level of the 350 and at 1500 lumens (MUCH brighter than the overrated 1300 lumens of the 350) there is an even worse problem with washed out whites. "Three Kings," the George Clooney adventure set in the desert, is an ocean of glare.

In MOST films I found the 350 to be an excellent projector, superbly sharp. I could not judge its colors fairly, since I was using the s-video output from my progressive-scan Toshiba 9100 DVD player, whose manual warns that interlaced signals from the player will lose color saturation and must be compensated for in the TV.

Bottom line: I STILL keep looking at prices on the 350. With a bulb cost per hour only a third of the popular NEC LT 150, and many fine qualities to recommend it, I have come close several times to ordering another 350.

Mike

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
If you like the 350, I suggest taking a look at the new Infocus LP530. I saw it briefly but have yet to have a chance to really audition it, but it was very promising.

[This message has been edited by rlsmith (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
846 Posts
The LP350 is still a great machine. I own one.

However, I doubt I would buy it if I was making a purchase today. Why?? Because I prefer the LT150/scaler combo at the price.

Meanwhile, I haven't switched to from my LP350. Why?? Because the differences are not compelling enough to make a move.

I'm hoping that's going to change with the introduction of the sharp 9000 and hitachi lcos.

--Les

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, thank you very much for the replys. The concensus seems to be as of present, there is not a suitable replacement that today would retail for around $6000. I think we all can look forward to seeing and hearing the new Infocus products which should have a great street price. I can always use the 350 in my office conf. room - so I'll keep it for now until there are clear major advantages to replace the 350 with at a reasonable price. If the new Infocus HT machine is "greatly better" than the 350, it will be interesting to see what will happen to new and used prices of all other projectors?

Dave

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have had my LP350 for six months now, and I have always been very satisfied with the image sharpness and colors. Contrast is usually perfectly acceptable.

The one area that bothers me sometimes is blurring during motion or panning. I haven't been able to tell if this is primarily due to the source material, the DVD player, or the projector. If the farodja chip would improve this, I would consider upgrading. Otherwise, I am quite happy.

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Reading between the lines, do I hear that for things like PowerPoint presentations with minimal video, most projectors with resolution that matches the computer and enough lumens (800-1200), would be pretty much a toss up?

It seems that the issues that separate the units are primarily focused on home theater usage and are not germain to the purely presentation arena.

I'm having trouble deciding on the right unit for my purposes despite having lurked for a good while. I also have a Mac so that 'might' be an issue. (Had lots of trouble with a Toshiba in that regard).

I just want to feel that I haven't tossed away money for things I won't really use. For instance the Nec LT150 for $2700 looked good but no zoom.

I'm going to drive m'self bonkers http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/confused.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.