AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am being offered a Infocus LP530 at a good price. Reading the specs it says format is 4:3. What happens if 16:9 stuff is played? I intend to use it mainly for DVD playback. 2nd question is what would be a good Dalite screen to mate with it?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Dark gray letterbox bars above and below the 16:9 image. This can be masked off with black felt or velvet. It needs the video module for component input which should be best with interlaced component as it has Faroudja built-into PJ (unless you want to use HTPC via DVI which would be the ultimate best). It has 16:9 mode which squeezes the anamorphic (stretched) picture that DVD player puts out back into perfection. Its only weakness is questionable bulb life (Infocus bulb tends to blow early (500 hours)).

Screen wise you'd be best with a Dalite High Contrast (0.8 gain) for better blacks and contrast (400:1 CR is mediocre these days for DLP type PJ; my NEC LT150 has 800:1 or higher after modifications) especially with 2000 lumens. Stewart Grayhawk (0.9 gain) will be better but more expensive. Stewart Firehawk (1.3 gain) and HC CinemaVision (1.1 gain) is not needed due to 2000 lumens, and Dalite HC and Stewart Grayhawk will give better blacks and wider angle of view due to lower gain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Excuse another newbie question: the DVD player I have has progressive scan, does the LP530 via the addon module support this?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Yes with the $400 add-on video module. By itself it only supports Svideo, composite, VGA/DVI (great for HTPC). You may be surprise to find though that your DVD player may look better when it outputs interlaced component (or even Svideo) into LP530 and let the PJ does the deinterlacing and scaling. This unit has a superb video processor (Faroudja based).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.