AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After one month with the Infocus LP530 I can say that I am very happy with it. I have 175 hours burned off the bulb so far. At this pace I would have used up the bulb in an LT-150 in 5.7 months.

What it does well-

Standard interlaced DVD on Svideo input.

Expanded movies out to 14 to 16 feet wide on a wall,

picture was great. Truely home theater that was better than

not-home theater.

Quiet and easy to use.

Portable - fit on 10" fireplace mantle.

What it does not do well-

NTSC - I don't know that NTSC can be done well.

Halo - This got much better once I got a real screen with some black border masking around it.

What I have not done-

HTPC

So far I have relied on the internal deinterlacer/scaler and I am very happy with it.

But, this is my first projector.

What we still need-

A head to head comparison of the performance of the LP530 against the LT-150.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
-- my 530 is on the way (thanks to Dell's great price)

-- a friend wants to bring his 150 over.

-- an HTPC is in place

-- screen is a Stewart StudioTek 130, 4x3 84" diagonal.

-- NTSC, DVD & LD signal sources.

-- no light control at all.

-- will be replacing 19 years of CRT FP use...

Stay tuned

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
May I ask how much you spent on the 530? I also like what I hear about this machine, I may use one in my permanent home theater room down the road if I ever make some money, but right now the LT150 is my best choice due to the short throw. Can the 530 throw as short as the 150?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the process of setting up my LP530. I'm very happy with the picture and want to make sure I do everything possible to eliminate/mask the halo as best I can. Any advise or comments in that regard?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Another way to get rid of halo is to get a screen that has a black border around it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let me make sure I understand.

Halo is the term for the light border which surrounds the image projected from the DMD and can be effectively eliminated or masked by using a screen with a black border of sufficient width.

What about the strip of light that appears above and below a projected 16:9 letterboxed image? Are there any ingenious methods of eliminating or masking these strips of light without using a panamorph? I want to use a 4:3 screen for various reasons but want to eliminate/mask these light strips when viewing letterboxed material.

I know this is not either the HTPC forum or the screen forum, but was hoping those with an LP530 might be able to shed some light on this issue (no pun intended). Does using a HTPC in any way allow you to deal with the light strips? Is there a <$1,000 8 foot wide screen available with horizontal masking that works well?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Try virtual masking with black poster board at lens. Search for "VMS" in projector area. Search engine is down right now or I'd do it for you.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the halo I am reffering to is the light that is projected around the image that can be dealt with by masking.

I have the same problem. I have spent the entire day viewing cable tv in enhanced widescreen mode. The projector's internal scaler converts the 4:3 image into a 16:9 by stretching it. If I can tollerate this I will only be using the 16:9 screen in the future, even for tv. So far so good. I can tollerate the wider image, but I have only been viewing the Crusade chain reaction on SciFi channel today.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is not so much that I am addicted, I am.

But rather the four years of waiting and wanting to get

a projector. Plus, it is set up im my office and I do get to watch throughout the work day, while working.

The Dalite perm wall screen came with a 2" black border mask. The projector needs about 4" of masking though. I am

planning a home made 54X96 screen with a 6" to 8" black masking which should be ideal.

The halo is not as much of an issue when you get the screen size up into the 14' to 16' wide image on a wall. At that size the image overcomes everything else.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
--530 arrived, I am very pleased - with any signal delivered via the HTPC.

--More later, after I get it permanently cabled in & mounted. Will try some direct video signals as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the input regarding dealing with the halo and the light bands above and below a letterboxed image.

After reading and looking at Huey's solution, I've got an idea for a similar fix at the lens. If it works, I'll post the results. Thanks for your help.

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
So how "Bad" is the picture for normal TV??? Any other hardware needed with the LP 530??

------------------

jerry

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm planning a low end SVHS vcr with svideo out. I hope this will improve the tuned image enough to be better than just marginally acceptable. Problem is not with the projector. In fact It is because of the projector's image with DVD that makes TV look so bad in comparison.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.