AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a copy of Chris Botti in concert on Blu Ray. It is LPCM 7.1, 96khz at 13MB/s. WOW. How should I deal with LPCM audio formats? Should I bitstream to my Yamaha HTR6080. It does not have HDMI decoders. My blu ray player does not have any mention of LPCM only PCM for HDMI 1.2 and 1.1 receivers. Is it the same thing (PCM - LPCM)?

Please advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Some clarification of terms, here.

PCM=Pulse Code Modulation; Audio is represented as a bunch of numerical samples

MPCM = Multi-channel PCM; Multi means more than two, which is a bit of a misnomer, but that's what they mean

LPCM = Linear PCM; The "flavor" of PCM used - does not indicate the number of channels

Bitstream = Sending coded audio rather than PCM such as Dolby Digital

Ok, so your LPCM soundtrack cannot be bitstreamed, as it's not any sort of coded audio. It's just PCM.

I believe your receiver should properly handle MPCM over HDMI. I have never heard of a player which is limited to two channel PCM, so I would guess that your player can send MPCM. Which only matters if this Blu-ray track has more than two channels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.