AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Panasonic SA-XR57K 7.1 HDMI receiver (a steal at $300 shipped from walmart.com). I've been setting it up and playing around with it the last couple of days. Yesterday I went ahead and got a couple more satellite speakers and some speaker stands.

LPCM is currently only available in 5.1. It sounds great yes, but this is supposed to be the next leap forward in technology. Should the number of speakers DROP for HD?

I was also very annoyed to discover that to get the rear surrounds to work for DVDs, I need to go ionto the PS3 menu and switch the audio to bitstream.

Also, I popped in The Descent because I know that has a 6.1 PCM track. Unfortunately, I can't get the rear surrounds to work for that either. I can get them to work for the regular 5.1 track, but not the PCM one.

This all leads to the question of which track to listen to. If you want those rear surrounds, you have to just go with the regular DD track, albeit at 640 mbps (at least that was the way it was with RE:A). If you want the LPCM track, you lose the rear surrounds. That's just sucky man!

So is this all just part of the double-dip-o-rama strategy?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic /forum/post/0

Also, I popped in The Descent because I know that has a 6.1 PCM track. Unfortunately, I can't get the rear surrounds to work for that either. I can get them to work for the regular 5.1 track, but not the PCM one.

Are you sure that your receiver actually takes PCM signals higher than 5.1? Does the PS3 automatically select 7.1 PCM through its auto configuration? Some HDMI receivers are limited to 5.1 in this regard.

·
Registered
859 Posts

Quote:

I just got a Panasonic SA-XR57K 7.1 HDMI receiver (a steal at $300 shipped from walmart.com). I've been setting it up and playing around with it the last couple of days. Yesterday I went ahead and got a couple more satellite speakers and some speaker stands.

LPCM is currently only available in 5.1. It sounds great yes, but this is supposed to be the next leap forward in technology. Should the number of speakers DROP for HD?

I was also very annoyed to discover that to get the rear surrounds to work for DVDs, I need to go ionto the PS3 menu and switch the audio to bitstream.

This all leads to the question of which track to listen to. If you want those rear surrounds, you have to just go with the regular DD track, albeit at 640 mbps (at least that was the way it was with RE:A). If you want the LPCM track, you lose the rear surrounds. That's just sucky man!

So is this all just part of the double-dip-o-rama strategy?

The Panasonic 57K remixes 6.1 PCM to 5.1. In fact, most receivers do it that way. Hell, some of them can't even handle multi-channel PCM, so you still have it pretty good.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I get EX with anything I want using a Smart Jr. outboard EX processor....or I can bypass it. I just recently tried LPCM, on Pearl Harbor no less, and I got plenty of whosh and boom-boom in the least important channel....
...the rear centre.

I see why some folks have fallen in love with LPCM.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/0

The Descent is encoded as 7.1 PCM. I must admit I am not that familiar with the hardware specifics but that is what you should set your player and receiver for.

I think panasonic receiver can get only 5.1 LPCM thru hdmi, for example DENON 2807 will do full 7.1 LPCM

Marek

·
Banned
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/0

The Descent is encoded as 7.1 PCM. I must admit I am not that familiar with the hardware specifics but that is what you should set your player and receiver for.

Apparently both the rear surrounds are the same channel. I don't remember where I read that here, probably in a Descent thread.

·
Banned
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekM /forum/post/0

I think panasonic receiver can get only 5.1 LPCM thru hdmi, for example DENON 2807 will do full 7.1 LPCM

Marek

So many caveats to this whole HDMI thing.

Does the Onkyo 604 have full 7.1 LPCM? That was only $70 more, maybe I should have gotten that one.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:

So many caveats to this whole HDMI thing.

Does the Onkyo 604 have full 7.1 LPCM? That was only $70 more, maybe I should have gotten that one.

let me check, but I don't think so.... 604 nope, I think 804E is doing LPCM7.1, there are just few receivers wich will do 7.1 from yamaha, 1700,2700, pioneer 82,84 few from denon, etc..

I spent one month of looking for new receiver, and I am not done yet, but favorit now is denon 2807.

next problem is LFE on some receivers....

this is good thread... a lot of great info....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7&page=1&pp=30

Marek

·
Banned
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/0

No. It's been reported to only accept 5.1 PCM.

So I guess there just is no affordable 7.1 PCM option.

Oh well, I can still get the extra sound for DVDs, or with included ES/EX tracks. I just need to reset the PS3's audio every time.

·
Banned
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekM /forum/post/0

let me check, but I don't think so.... 604 nope, I think 804E is doing LPCM7.1, there are just few receivers wich will do 7.1 from yamaha, 1700,2700, pioneer 82,84 few from denon, etc..

I spent one month of looking for new receiver, and I am not done yet, but favorit now is denon 2807.

next problem is LFE on some receivers....

this is good thread... a lot of great info....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7&page=1&pp=30

Marek

I don't care about bass management. You can turn the bass up on my receiver if you want to, but I live in an apartment building so I have to be respectful.

But thank you for the link. I will check out that forum.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:

I don't care about bass management. You can turn the bass up on my receiver if you want to, but I live in an apartment building so I have to be respectful.

you are welcome....

the problem with LFE is that if you turn up bass up on your receiver, receiver could turn up bass in all speakers... not just LFE...

than there is HUGE thread for 5.1/7.1 receivers

Quote:
5.1/7.1 PCM, HDMI, and DSP - An Explaination of the Future-Proof receiver
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1&page=1&pp=30

Marek

·
Registered
6,270 Posts

Quote:

Check out the Panasonic xr-700

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The manual that comes with the PS3 states that PCM tracks that contain more than 5.1 channels will be mixed down to 5.1. If you do have a player that puts out PCM 6.1 or 7.1, you still need a receiver that supports that many channels through HDMI. That may not exist yet. It's not double-dipping, it's future-proofing. The software is there, the hardware is catching up.

·
Banned
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfilmguy /forum/post/0

The manual that comes with the PS3 states that PCM tracks that contain more than 5.1 channels will be mixed down to 5.1. If you do have a player that puts out PCM 6.1 or 7.1, you still need a receiver that supports that many channels through HDMI. That may not exist yet. It's not double-dipping, it's future-proofing. The software is there, the hardware is catching up.

Now that's good to know. Of course this could change in a future upgrade, but it's probably a long way off.

·
Registered
919 Posts

Quote:

Doh, you live in an apartment, thats no fun with the type of sound equipment that you have.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfilmguy /forum/post/0

there are several receivers capable of LPCM7.1 thru HDMI now.

Marek

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:

The PS3 outputs 7.1 PCM right now, and has ever since it was released. It outputs 7.1 PCM for games and movies with support for it.

Furthermore, receivers with support for 7.1 PCM have been around for months.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.