AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am awaiting delivery on one of these units and want to know if it supports the rs232 protocol in the same way as the epson tw100

i have read different reports, some say it is just for factory use, yet in the yamaha brochures it mentions the serial port when talking about 'custom installations'

cheers

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yeah, I am curious about this, too. I did not know that Epson's RS-232 port can do something beyond the factory stuff. What does it allow you to do?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Someone around here has the actual computer software that interfaces with the serial port on the TW100. I'm not sure if he actually figured out what it was capable of.

You'll want to check out this THREAD

Good luck and let us know what you discover!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Actually, I just found the software. It's in a file repository on Yahoo's TW100 group. The link is HERE

You may have to join the group before you can view the files. If so, here's the main page for the Yahoo TW100 Group

Have fun

:D

PS. Here also is a photo of the RS232 cable . This photo apparently was from Epson service in Germany in the early days of the TW100. I think that circuit board is part of the whole shebang.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you check out the epson site for the tw100 there is a document which details a simple protocol, http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/pl600p/pl600pcm.pdf

this is what i want to be able to do with my lpx, to drive it via rs232 commands from my home automation controller rather than via the remote. My lpx hasnt arrived yet, so i have been limited to downloading the manual from the yamaha US site. That manual doesnt even document the connections , they seem to be in a 'setup' manual which isnt available on line.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the protocol is the same as the yamaha dpx1, it is a more basic protocol than that in the epson, and uses 4 byte extended IR codes to control its functionality. i would attach the PDF file but i keep getting timeouts..:-(

·
Registered
257 Posts
So, did anyone have any success in controlling the lpx500 via serial control?

If so I'd like to hear from you, as I'm about to attempt the same thing via Girder.

Cheers

Ross

·
Registered
257 Posts
:(

Well, I think I've well and truly had my idea of controlling this projector via RS232 kicked into touch.

I spent quite a bit of time playing around with different comm speed settings and just using a default gml to send garbage to the projector to get any kind of response but no joy.

I managed to get an email address from someone at Yamaha and have been writing to them (very politely) for the last 6 weeks and finally got a reply this morning. The wording was along the lines of "What are you trying to do? We only use RS232 to update the firmware"

I replied that I had seen a post on the Crestron newsgroup of someone who had successfully controlled an LPX500 via RS232, and included a link to their own webpage listing RS232 protocols for their other projectors.

I finally got a response back from them and quote it as follows:

"Due to certain agreements, we are not allowed to release the RS-232

protocol set for the LPX-500. However, if your unit was purchased here

in the US, it can be sent to us and we can update the system to accept

extended IR commands.

Extended codes can be found here:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/c...X500_IRxls.pdf

Regards,

XXXXX"

(name hidden out of courtesy)

That wording in the first line I found very odd, but it's not likely to be a subject they will comment on.

I have already tried to contact the person on the Crestron group to obtain a copy of the protocols but, after doing a search, I note that he has not posted on that group for well over a year so I don't hold much hope of hearing from him. I've also posted a question to the Crestron group generally to see if anyone else has these codes but no joy yet.

Because I did not buy the projector in the States, I'm not able to send the unit back to them, and even if I did, it seems a little excessive to have to send the unit to them just to update the firmware in this way.

Anyway, I'm now assuming that I cannot control this unit via RS232 (unless someone on this forum knows otherwise) but I'm curious to know what these "extended IR" commands are - not that it matters because the tone of that email suggests that to use them I'd still have to send the unit into them to enable those functions, but I'm just curious.

Thanks anyway

Ross

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.