AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the low quality setting adequate for animation ? The next 2 weeks will bring the premieres for The Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, Justice League, Samurai Jack, etc. - and if possible I'd like to ration these at LQ. I record most things at HQ.

Tony

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
i record the simpsons reruns in extended/LQ...you get a fair amount of pixilation since the camera tends to whip around...but it's not too bad...but having said that i always record the new simpsons & futuramas in medium

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I find "Standard" or "Extended" quality unacceptable for animation. Although animation (of the Simpsons variety) contains large areas of continuous color, it also contains VERY sharp edges, which require a lot of bandwidth to encode properly. You'll get pixellated macroblocking on edges with Standard.

The large areas of continuous color also make pixellation more obvious.

I record on Medium and get good results.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've used low quality for futurama and it was watchable, but it did pixellate on high movement so I changed it to medium and it works perfectly.

It also depends on how good your signal is.. if you've got snow on top of it, then extended gets worse.

-Chris

·
Registered
239 Posts
I must have a really bad TV, because I haven't used anything but Extended for all my recordings so far. I always used the EP mode on my vcr too... maybe after I hack the box past 30 hours I'll change my tune.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I agree with Mike. The only thing I can stand to have on extended play is talking heads, and to my eye (probably for the reasons Mike indicated) animation looks pretty horrible on extended. I find the mosquito noise of extended pretty hard to swallow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.