Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a beginner so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

After reviewing a lot of projectors and lurking in this forum for quite a while I think I have set my mind on my first PJ. The Infocus LS110 / Boxlight 12SF seems like my PJ of choice. I also considered the HP XB31 but it's 4:3 and I would be using my PJ to watch mainly DVDs and 16:9 is probably a better choice (no HDTV yet).

First obvious question, does anyone has a good reason for me to not go with that specific model (beside the obvious "the-next-gen-is-around-the-corner" argument)?

Second question, where to purchase it? From what I read here it seems the PJ can be found for little under $4000 but I dont seem to find such a price. My local dealer is not a nice guy (Probably because I look young and he treated my like I was some kind of poor kid looking to test drive a Mercedes SL600) and gave me a lame price (probably on purpose to impress me...stupid :rolleyes: ...). Anyway, has anyone of you recommendations (with experience) on a good, knowledgeable, place to buy the Boxlight or Infocus?

I also think a third manufacturer sell the same projector but it's not referenced at projectorcentral.com... If the warranty is as good and the price is interesting I would be very happy to purchase this one too :)

Thanks in advance for your help and congrats to all of you for making this forum one of the best community of geek on the net :D

Julien.

Edit: Btw, if you are a dealer and would like to contact me privatly feel free to do so.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I checked out both the LS110 and the Piano a while back. IMO the Piano produces a much better picture for less $$$. With the right screen (firehawk) and controlled lighting, the relatively low brightness of the Piano is not a problem at all.

If you are set on the 110, then I suppose you could snag one off ebay for around 3-4K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Piano and LS110 use the same DLP but the ouput intensity on the Piano maybe too low if you are planning for a big screen. I have found the picture on the LS110 to be better than the Piano but I think this is mainly due to the fact that the brightness is more than 2x. Ls110 does have some extraneous light spill and is larger and has a larger fan noise than the Piano which is almost silent. I ultimately bought the LS110 (got it from a local dealer for $3999 while I could have purchased the PLUS Piano for $2500). I would recommend either projector as I think they are both great, just be aware that if you plan to use a large screen > 70" wide the LS110 will give a brighter more satisfying picture (IMHO) but ultimatelty it always comes down to a price performance issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your answer and feedback. I think the screen size I plan to use is a little too big for the Piano. Plus the lack of zoom makes it difficult for me to set it up in the room (I dont need a lot of flexibility, just a little bit so that I dont have to move everything in the room... WAF is in full effect here :D ). The price you paid is exactly the kind of price I am looking for. So far I was quoted $4995 wich is quite a lot more!

Julien.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.