AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My one significant issue with the picture from the 150 is the poor contrast in the darkest movie scenes -- it's just hard to see much detail sometimes. I know this is a common issue (and not limited to the LT-150), and I would like to know what strategies are best to minimize this problem. I am using an HTPC/Radeon/ATI player with the projector brightness at default and the contrast turned up quite a bit. Do you crank up the Gamma on the ATI player? Use a high-gain screen? (I am projecting on an off-white wall) Darken the room? (I have a little bit of street light and no halo/light spill masking) Something else?

I am just fine with the black level, rainbows, and most of the other things that people seem to have problems with on the 150. Detail in dark scenes is easily the worst problem for me.

John

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
For more contrast you need a LOW gain screen. This is also known as "high contrast". Stewart Gray Hawk has is pricey but very good. Others have tried differing grey shades (see Screen forum) and search for grey screen. Snowfield (light grey, Behr brand) color from Home Depot seems to fit the bill with most. If you don't want to paint your wall, you could paint on back of panelling or blackout cloth and then hang it on your wall. Cranking up gamma a tad may help on your HTPC. Too much will cause wash out of image. Lowering brightness on your projector and increasing contrast may help perceived contrast also. High gain screen tend to give punchier, brighter colors but worst black and contrast. You may have to experiment (ask Dalite for screen samples). Good luck with your quest for better contrast. Unless you get into CRT, Plasma, or >10k DLP you can't beat 800:1 contrast of LT150.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
363 Posts
Try setting the LT150 Gamma Correction to Natural 2, then

calibrate Brightness (black level) and Contrast (white level) with Avia.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Here's the good news:

Increasing the setting on the brightness control will help detail in dark scenes.

Here's the bad news:

Your black level will increase and the adjustment might need to vary based on the viewing material to get that "perfect" look.

Case in point, I had already calibrated with VE and was happy with my black level. However, last night I watched 13 minutes, and put up the smpte color bars. I noticed the brightness was set much too low for this DVD which accounted for the lack of detail (blochiness) in dark scenes. Setting the brightness up resulted in a much better overall picture, even though I was not as pleased with the level of black.

--Les

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.