AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have to order screen for testing image quality of RPTV's against FP (LT 150) and was thinking of 8x10' or 6x8' screen tape C.

Any suggestions on material will be appreciated.

best regards Artur.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi Artur,

I'm not the most experienced LT150 owner but from what I have read the Hipower is the way to go. It just make your picture more film like with great details and deeper blacks. It pops out of the screen! Hope it helps! Regards,

Rodrigo Braga

·
Registered
950 Posts
Artur, I have the Da-lite, 60x80, high power, model B screen that, I use for the LT 150. I purchased it after reading the pros and cons on this forum, about which screen was prefered for use with this pj. There are some who prefer the grayhawk, but its cost was too prohibitive, especially since I will eventually change pj's, and the correct screen to match with each pj may differ. The cost of the Da-Lite was something that, I could easily replace.

The PQ on this screen is very crisp and bright, and the $270 cost for a HT screen is really relatively minor.

Your Mileage May Vary with what your eyes percieve, however, many on this forum use this screen over any other with the 150.

Ultimately, each screen has its good points, and depending on *your* wants, whether it be contrast, better blacks, or a brighter picture, etc., you'd have to actually see for yourself, but for $270, you really can't go wrong here.

The people I've had over to view movies, can't believe the PQ on this screen.

I believe that this screen will give you a good benchmark to make your comparison with RPTV'S.

Ciao, Vittorio

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I'm using the Matte White and am very pleased with the image. This screen is also less expensive than either the Hi-Power or Grayhawk.

I don't recall anyone saying the Hi-Power improved the blacks, in fact just the opposite. Most have found the higher black level a fair trade off for improved colors and "punch" (I'm still trying to figure out what that is)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have the following screens - Hipower, Da-lite 1.3 gain, block out material and homemade greyscreen. Doing a direct comparison the "blacks" are deepest with the greyscreen then the 1.3 gain then the blockout material and lastly the Hipower. Look at each screen separately with this projector and IMO the Hipower wins hands down. The overall contrast and punch (contrast ratio) give the image jet blacks when called for (the power of illusion is everything) and knockout colours. There is really nothing else I have seen that compares - this screen not only works for the LT150, but works for other DLPs as well. I would not recommend it for XGA LCDs however, since its blistering punch seems to exacerbate the grid or screendoor effect. I haven't seen the greyhawk yet, but I suspect it will work well, however, I think the "look" will be quite different. I suspect its a rock n' roll vs. classical music thing - whatever makes your day.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Personally, I like the Grayhawk. I think Grant is right, it might be just a personal preference thing. The cost differential is not insignificant. I sold my 1.3 gain white in favor of the Grayhawk.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you ALL, I think I will go for bigger 65x115 Hi power, according to illumination calculation I should be able to fill it with LT 150's power output. and I have to be able to preview RPTV's and LT 150 at the same time.

Best regards Artur.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Just remember that Hi-Power screens are retrorelective and as such the light is reflected back to the source unlike other screens that are relective and the light returns at an equal relected angle.

The Greyhawk works either way.

The Hi-Power is best used as a screen for floor mounted projectors. The screen will then be about 2 to 2.5 depending on where you are in relation to the projector. When used with a ceiling mounted projector, you get about 1.3 to 1.5 as I understand it, plus some uneven hot spotting, although you might not notice it.

The da-lite 1.3 screen I believe is reflective and better used for ceiling mounts.

Bob

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would sujest the Da-lite Perm-wall model (any surface type) . It is a fixed screen with no wrinkles or waves. I had an Model B (matte white) and It had so many wrinkles that I had to took out the mechanism and Framed it.

Antonio

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again, last minute change we decided on 96" wide spectra for wider viewing angle hope it will be OK.

Artur.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.