AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been working on the media room with the LT 150. Great stuff. Now just want to get the Dishnetwork dish picture to be at least a decent view???? Anything that can help this??? Also, keep in mind that most of the viewing is with a DVD player and if it would help that also a plus!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Jim

·
Registered
950 Posts
Jim, I have to agree with troubleshooter on this one.

I have Dish, and have found the compression on most channels less than satisfying. The compression n most channels is sometimes hard to watch. The picture on PPV channels is definately better.

I'm using a CI scaler, and am very happy with the picture after much tweaking. Not the best mind you, but for the small amount of TV that I watch vs DVD, I can live with it. JMHO, VB

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I have the dish hooked up via s-video and just wondered if a scaller or whatever would make it watchable???? Sports seems marginal no matter what you watch it on (tv, projector, at a bar while drunk).

Anybody else have any ideas???

Thanks in advance,

Jim

·
Registered
846 Posts
The majority opinion seems to be the Faroudja NR does the best job with NTSC/SD over cable/DSS. I have never seen this combination myself.

I use an HTPC, Osprey 100, and DScaler. I prefer it over S-Video and using the projectors internal scaler.

As others have mentioned, the result changes based on the channel. Programs over the OTA (SD) always look the best. Some channels on DSS are just unwatchable. Enterprise on KSBK was painful to watch. Enterprise on WWOR was pretty decent.

--Les

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am also using an HTPC with Dscaler, S-in from DSS and RGB out to the projector. Dscaler does a good job, but when blown up to full screen size (I use a 120") it looks pretty bad. Lately I've been experiementing with various schemes.

If you can stand the noise, I actually think S-in to the projector and running in Native looks decent. However it has less impact- at that point you might as well watch on a tube. We need higher resolution input signal (HDTV)!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
OT, but...

3.1415926 pi: I think you've truncated your ID instead of rounding it. Do you mind if I call you "3.1415927 pi" instead?

/jab

------------------

a moderator at the TiVo Community Forum

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I use my LT150 with DirecTV. I have it hooked up to an RCA DTC-100 via the HD15 connector. It gives a very decent picture on regular channels and of course an excellent picture on the HD channels. The DTC-100 line doubles regular channels to 540p. Never used Dish, but you might have similar results using their HD decoder.

Dino

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dino:

One question, can you use "Native Mode" connecting your DTC100 to the LT150 by the VGA cable? My understanding is that you don't have aspect ratio control, is that right? If that is the case I might change the RGB signal to Component because I read in another post that this way, you have aspect ratio control.

The thing is that I would like to have a 16X9 screen and display 4X3 images with the Native Mode, so if I can do it like that it would be a good solution.

Thanks,

Marcos

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have an LT150 and Directv so I'm pretty much the same setup as you. I did find the S-video connector gave me a more solid picture than the composite so that's one thought. Another is to display at 'native' resolution...the picture size is much smaller but thusly somewhat sharper (at least to me). I also find that different channels look better than others due to the varying amount of compression used in the stream for that channel. I find showtime/starz/hbo etc to look fairly good, and the PPV channels to look rather acceptable. No matter what, there's only so much data in a 480i/p picture. The thing that bugs me the most is football...The colors on Sunday were super drab. Other than the color though, I found the picture to be sharp enough to be quite pleasing. Also you might want to play with the 'noise reduction' setting on the LT150. I have mine on LOW right now and am still debating whether I like LOW or OFF better. MED and HIGH are just too soft for me.

-Trouble

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Hey guys, I have cable and satellite going through a VCR, which output I then send to a Radeon All In One Wonder, so I can watch Cable, Satellite and even VCR's on my HTPC (not tested it yet, in theory it should work).

Has anyone tested how Sat or Cable would look with this setup on the LT150 (I have not purchased it yet).

Thanks!

------------------

;) DVDSlave ;(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with using the "native mode" that things look better, but probably because the pic is just on a smaller scale and not drawn out. I will continue to try things and if anybody else has an ideas, please type them out.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoT:
I use my LT150 with DirecTV. I have it hooked up to an RCA DTC-100 via the HD15 connector. It gives a very decent picture on regular channels and of course an excellent picture on the HD channels. The DTC-100 line doubles regular channels to 540p. Never used Dish, but you might have similar results using their HD decoder.

Dino
How large of a 4:3 picture are you projecting?

/jab

------------------

a moderator at the TiVo Community Forum

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.