AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really hate to beat a dead horse, but I have searched this morning to no avail. I have purchased a lt-150 through the dell deal (if it works or not I will have one next week) and am now ready to order the screen.

This is my first projector so I have no idea what to expect as I bought this site unseen. I have a couple question I hope you guys can help clear up for me.

Which would be best to buy a 16:9 screen or a 4:3? I'm not too big on 4:3 and would like to get a 110" (or so) 16:9, however when watchings satellite I may be stuck with a much smaller picture because of the 16:9 shape. If I get a 4:3 I can mask the tops and bottoms and have close to the same size 16:9 screen? Does this make sense? I'm kind of sketchy about the purchase of a 4:3 so hopefully you guys can give me a hand.

My other question is I plan on getting the Da-Lite Hipower screen......first is there a best place to get this? Who would you guys recommend?

I also would like to ceiling mount my projector, so hopefully it will work out with this high power. If not on the coffee table it goes =).

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't have much of an opinion on the 4:3 vs. 16:9. I'm getting an 80x60 4:3 Da-Lite High Power. I'm width constrained due to my mounting position. I ordered my screen from cousinsvideo .

Regarding ceiling mounting and the high power, I did a simulated ceiling mount during my screen tests and while not as bright as when the projector is on the coffee table, it was still brighter than the other samples.

Follow the screen test link in my signature for photos.

------------------

Tom L.

My stuff, LT150, HTPC, and screen tests

·
Registered
653 Posts
Chris, I can't really recommend a screen type since I don't have too much experience either. However, you might want to consider buying your screen from Projectors Now , simply because they are located in Baltimore. Their prices are pretty good and they will also match any price that you can find on the internet. I bought a Dalite Insta-Theater from them because I wanted the option of exchanging or returning it without having to ship it back. They do have a restocking fee but that seems to be pretty typical with all these type of stores.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Take a look at a post called "To save 1000 words". It describes my masking system with a link to photos of it. I think you can go to it from Tom's site, since he is the architect of my site.

IMO 4:3 is the way to go if you are going to mask the screen.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
653 Posts
The original (but discontinued) Insta-theater was a High Power. The current, "Deluxe Insta-theater" is only available in a Wide Power material. I haven't received my LT150 yet so I won't be able to comment on how well it works until next week (hopefully). This is exactly why I wanted to purchase it locally. The 100" model is $470 at cousinsvideo.com. The only problem I see with mine right now is that there is some difficulty getting the screen to be perfectly flat.

Note also that Draper makes a Road Warrior screen which is identical to the Insta-theater but they offer it in a white matte material and a high gain glass bead. It's not available in the 100" diagonal, however.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Pham and others...

I was considering the Dalite Insta-Theater as well, is it a high power 2.8 screen, some sites suggest it is, will others reference a wide power?

About how much is the 80x60 High Power?

Anyone know of dealers in Canada?

·
Registered
873 Posts
As Grant has pointed several times, the advantages of the 4:3 screen are:

1) cheaper than 16:9

2) more screen material for your money

3) gives the most flexibility

If you also add to this a masking system, you can essentially have both screens by using a fixed width system.

This, at least, is what I plan to do.

Kelly

·
Registered
267 Posts
Another plus with a 4:3 pulldown is that you can pull it down at an interval to achieve a 16x9 screen, as well (assuming you are using an external scaler/HTPC so that you can control where the picture is on the 4x3 panel).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.