AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the LT 150 and am anxiously waiting its arrival. I am planning on purchasing a Skyworth 1050P DVD player. The Skyworth has a RGB/VGA 15-pin output for progressive scan. My concern is a statement made by Darian a few months ago where he stated:

"Component 480i/p

Using component input you get aspect ratio control and video settings. 480P via RGB gives you 2 choices of resolution: Auto (Full Screen) or Native (little image)."

This does not make a lot of sense to me as the LT 150 only has a RGB input - it does not have "normal" component video inputs. Will I lose the ability to control aspect ratio if I connect a Skyworth to the LT 150 via the RGB out on the Skyworth? I guess I could use the Y/Pb/Pr outs on the Skyworth and by a cable to convert to RGB - but why would one give me aspect ratio control and not the other?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
To get aspect ratio control you will need to use the component out of the Skyworth and get a component RGB cable.

I don't know why they made this decision either, but they did.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Stuff

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The aspect ratio is a pure software issue really. Since the NEC LT150 is targeted at the business market - not HT - they obviously didn't think to include aspect ratio controls for RGBHV. I'm also a bit annoyed that they disabled native mode for 480p via component.

jszag - get a VGA->component cable to use with the Skyworth and the LT150. It's not only worth it, it's absolutely necessary in my mind if you want an acceptable picture with this combination. I just got mine today and I've been looking at the YC delay - it's negligable. The only time I see it is if I look for it, and then only in the border between yellow and other colors. During normal viewing you won't notice it.

btw. you're going to love the picture of this combination http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
653 Posts
I asked a similar question in the DVD Hardware forum here. I'm curious though, has anyone figured out how to enter the LT150's service mode? I'm wondering if there are some settings in there that might help in this situation.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Frode:
I'm also a bit annoyed that they disabled native mode for 480p via component.
D'oh! Does this mean the LT150 can't display 4:3 component and S-Video sources on a 16:9 screen?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Signal:
D'oh! Does this mean the LT150 can't display 4:3 component and S-Video sources on a 16:9 screen?
No it doesn't. I was able to use native mode with a 480i 4:3 source.

But I did have the problem that the 4:3 image through my replaytv was placed at the bottom of the 16:9 screen in native mode which I didn't like. I didn't see a way to adjust it either through the mickey mouse remote.

Did anyone solve this problem or will it be necessary to have a video processor to shift the image?

--Les

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks Les. Can the Panasonic RP-91 display 4:3 DVDs within a 16:9 screen at 480p connected to the LT150 via component video? Which HDTV tuner is best for the LT150? Is there any difference in picture quality between 720p and 1080i?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.