AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sounds like the LT150 is a great performer, especially at its price. But it has some problems also. By replacing parts, can these problems be overcome?

For example:

1. Case: Perhaps the case can be replaced. It is really cool that the case is small, but I can live with something bigger if it improves other factors. For example, a larger case can be used as a hush box so it is ultra quiet (and low temperature). Also, the box can be built so there is no light scattering out of ventilation openings. Perhaps halo or other issues can be addressed at the same time. Also, a new color can be added to the case to match the interior.

(Also, perhaps the internal electronics can be better shielded against noise when it is mounted into a new case? Not sure if the power supply is external already or not.)

2. Optics: The optics system can be adjusted/replaced to correct a few of the issues raised on this forum. Perhaps lenses from cheaper slide projectors or more expensive theater projectors can be used:

- A zoom lense can be taken out of another system to be added to this.

- The throw distance can be changed by matching up the right lense system. (This can potentially reduce the picture size to accomodate the use of a Ultra Panatar or something.)

- A lense shift system can be adapted to move the image up or down.

- For those that have the Panamorph:

Add panamorph to case (maybe even motorizing the panamorph?)

The slight upward angle may be taken out so there is no keystoning issue.

3. Lamp: The lamp can be changed to something that lasts longer, or brighter, or another type that creates a more realistic look.

4. Color wheel: Replace with 3 segment color wheel with no white section. (This would involve playing with the electronics.) Or even better, a 6 segment, if the electronics can be rigged to refresh that way.

5. General optimization: Are there parts in the machine that can be replaced to improved picture quality, sound level, etc.?

6. Wild idea: Strip out 3 LT150's and a large 3 chip LCD machine. Mix and match the optics to make a 3 chip machine. (This is more of a fantasy than anything else. The electronics would be a nightmare.)

Since I do not have a LT-150, I am just throwing these ideas out for others to consider. Perhaps someone with more of an engineering background can confirm or shoot down my ideas. If some of these can be implemented, I would consider getting a LT-150 and working on it. I have no electronics skills, though, so my options are limited to the mechanical ones.

Opinions and ideas?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Quote:
6. Wild idea: Strip out 3 LT150's and a large 3 chip LCD machine. Mix and match the optics to make a 3 chip machine. (This is more of a fantasy than anything else. The electronics would be a nightmare.)
Replace the 3 color wheels with solid color ones, (keep them spinning in order not to modify the s/w). Drive each of the RGB inputs with just the real Red input. Do the same for the Green and Blue inputs. Be ready to work on optics to align 3 beams and a cheaper lamp to drive all three optic assemblies at once, otherwise be ready for a big replacement bill. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I kind of like the replacement housing idea with better light control and sound issues taken into account.

-=-

Mark

------------------

JVC G1000 DILA

Stewart Greyhawk

Sony: SAT-B3, DTC-100,STR-DA777ES Receiver

Toshiba: SD-3109 DVD

Proscan 27" TV

B&W: DM601, CC6, DS6B, 800ASW speakers

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Problem with replacing the case is that you have to make sure that the airflow is still the way it's supposed to. Right now the fans are created so they're at the end of a "tunnel" so that maximum cooling is achieved. Easiest way to actually dissipate heat if you have a different case is to actually stick a heatsink onto the lamp and cool that using a fan.

·
Registered
98 Posts
a DiY wooden case with two silent 80mm x 80mm PC case fans would be great.

Maybe it is possible to replace the lamp module with a cheaper lamp. Is it possible to turn on the projector without the lamp module? Maybe with a trick?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.