AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an NEC LT 150 and an HTPC from Digital Connection as below. On the windows desktop (and DVDs) I was getting A LOT of flicker. That is, pixels that border between light and dark were flickering, just as a light bulb may flicker. This could be easily seen when looking at the desktop icons and the writing underneath them The writing was flickering like crazy.

I called Digital connection and NEC tech support and did two things. Now my pixels are ROCK SOLID!!! Fantastic

1. Enabled plug and play detection in the adapter section and rebooted so that windows recognized the monitor as an LT 150. This actually seemed to make it a little worse but then I...

2. Changed refresh rate to 85 Hz from 60hz. The guy at tech support asked his superior and the machine will put out at 85 hz. This really did the trick! The difference is like night and day on computer functions.

I'm sure this problem is common. I have to run ann errand but I can't wait to put on a DVD to see if their is any improvement.

------------------

David

Intel Pentium III 1GHz Processor 133MHz FSB

ASUS CUSL2-C ATX Motherboard with Intel i815E Chipset

Toshiba combo DVD CD-RW

ATI Radeon AGP 64 MB DDR VIVO

M-Audio Delta DiO 24/96 256MB PC133 SDRAM

60GB ATA/100 7200RPM (75GXP) IBM Deskstar Hard Drive

Windows ME

(made by Digital Connection)

And last but not least the infamous Dell LT 150

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
David, I thought that refresh rates other than 60HZ caused problems for the LT150. Is this not the case? I have heard of "tearing" although I do not know what tearing is. Would anyone care to enlighten me?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shahram

How come you are the only one who reads my posts?

Anyway remeber the flicker we saw. It has tottaly gone away. You will be impressed when you see it. 85 hz seems to be the way to go. The tech support guy indicated that the projector will refresh at 85 hz and not downgrade the signal to 60 hz.

I will probably try some of the other refresh rates that are available under the adapter tab of the properties/settings/advanced menu. But rally right now I am thrilled. Each of the letters under the the desktop icons is only one pixel wide. It is sharp and clear. It used to look smudged with one pixel on and the pixel nesxt to it flickering away.

------------------

David

Toshiba combo DVD CD-RW

Windows ME

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the only one who reads your posts, but I read all LT150 posts. This should be good news. I heard that higher refresh rates can help reduce the rainbow effect. I know you don't want to mess with rainbow, David. Can anyone else out there check on or confirm this theory?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I noticed this effect and posted http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/008193.html

I decided there were not very many lt150 users out there after all. I have this fuzzy "flicker" on composite, and component. It went away using laptop with rgb feed when configured as "secondary" display, but popped up again when used as primary display. Settings for both primary and secondary were 1024 x 768 @ 60 hz. I noted that when secondary the lt150 said refresh was 59.xx Hz. and when primary the LT150 said refresh was 60.xx Hz. External display type was set to LT150.

I think you may have tumbled to something here and will certainly try it as the fuzz drives me nuts! I thought that since the color whell doesn't speed up with refresh rate that updating at > 60 hz was a no no. time to start tweaking.

thanks for the post.

------------------

plug in to play

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It's locked at 60Hz internally and if you go higher you will get tearing - you were warned. Just use 60Hz - and if you get problems try the auto-adjust on the remote to resynch the projector a couple of times.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Frode, what is tearing?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
During pans or scenes with high motion a part of the chip can't keep up with the input coming in. What then happens is that you get a visual tear as say the upper half of the screen is slightly ahead of the lower part. Very annoying to say the least.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's locked at 60Hz internally and if you go higher you will get tearing - you were warned. Just use 60Hz - and if you get problems try the auto-adjust on the remote to resynch the projector a couple of times.

------------------

/frode

Frode,

I really don't understand it but it works. Tech support from NEC felt (but honestly was a bit hesitant) that the projector will not down rate a 85 hz signal, but can display it. Do you have this flickering problem?

I would like to look for the tearing you mention. Any DVD that are more likely to show it?

By the way I have tried a few DVD and I'm not sure it helps DVD picture quality.

------------------

David

Toshiba combo DVD CD-RW

Windows ME

·
Registered
803 Posts
My experience with a proxima dx3 is that 60 hz must have vertical and horizontal positive sync activated, otherwise you get the blurry image you complained. As i have G400 cards i can change this parameter in the monitor properties. Maybe powerstrip will do the trick for your card. Also teh Dx3 suffers tearing > 60 Hz.

bye http://www.mclink.it/personal/MC1290/

------------------

dubmaster

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.