AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Greyhawk arrived a week early, and this is NOT a complaint. I got the beastie physically installed late this afternoon.

A couple of things to note -- digital cameras don't do well in low ambient light, so getting good images is tough -- it looks like my digicam currently is skewed slightly towards the blue end of the spectrum, so take that into consideration when viewing these images.

Several asked for images, and so, without further ado, here they are. Please ignore the review speakers in the front soundstage, aka the Showoff Shot http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

http://www.mindspring.com/~kotches/m...ge-2-small.jpg

Next up, a shot with the bedsheet screen, and immediately below, the same shot on the greyhawk.

http://www.mindspring.com/~kotches/m...alsh-small.jpg

http://www.mindspring.com/~kotches/m...frey-small.jpg

More to follow in another post.

Regards,

------------------

---

Editor, PC/Home Theater Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The two images are fairly close in results, but there's more details in the greyhawk screen that are simply lost in the low resolution images.

All are scaled to about 320x240 while preserving the original aspect ratio of the cropped image.

Regards,

------------------

---

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
John, was the camera locked to the same manual shutter speed and f-number (digital equivalent) between the shots? That would make comparison shots more meaningful. Otherwise the camera's automatic exposure compensation tries to hide differences.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guy,

Color me photographically challenged. I do the fabulous point/shoot routine. The differences are there, and in the higher res shots that I simply can't post here a little more apparent.

Thanks for the tip though, one of these days I'll actually get around to learning something about photography.

The positives of the Greyhawk:

Better contrast, and black details.

The minuses of the Greyhawk:

Screen door effect kicks in closer than the bed sheet did....

Oh well, you can't have everything http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Regards,

------------------

---

·
Registered
855 Posts
John - any thoughts of trying a Dalite Hi-Power screen?

I know there is divided opinion on this. I have one and am really happy with the results. Punchy picture with great colours and as far as I can tell great blacks as well.

Movies like Blade, Dark City etc look great with lots of shadow detail.

Screen door effect is not noticeable until you get within 6 ft.

Thanks to G. Smyth & T. Lastrange for all the testing they did with various screen materials.

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

[This message has been edited by Lou Sytsma (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
John, thanks for posting the picts and your impressions. I am a little confused as I thought one of the advantages of the Greyhawk was the reduction of the appearance of screendoor on LCD/DLP projectors (one of the reasons it is recommended for the Sony 10HT).

I know it may be hard to measure, but how much more visible is the screendoor? If you could see it at 6' on the bedsheet, how far away is it now evident on the Greyhawk?

Screendoor drives me crazy and is one of the main reasons I use an ISCO II with my LT150.

By the way, what's the threadcount of the bedsheet? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

John
My HT Picts

[This message has been edited by Wireless (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
John, I noticed the white of the guitarist's shirt was definitely grayer in the Grayhawk picture. Is this what you're seeing in the actual installation?

While I've seen definite and drastic improvement in shadow detail and black level with my Grayhawk, I am using a projector that has 3 times the brightness of the LT150. Is it really a good idea to use a gray screen with a low-light projector?

Dan

·
Registered
733 Posts
John, we need you to spend some more money and get a Da-lite Hipower and do a shootout! We all know you're up to it and what's another three or four hundred bucks! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif The bedsheet sure looks like a great bang for the buck.

I am going to be posting my initial thoughts concerning the ISCO II and LT150 combination later today.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
813 Posts
It could be a result of the process but the GreyHawk image appears to have a green tinge (white T-shirt). Is this also visible "live" ?

------------------

Sergio R.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lou,

I talked with a number of people, and the DaLite Hi-Power was not on the list. It was down to the Vutec Graydove and the Stewart Greyhawk. I opted to spend more and get the Stewart, as this is a long term investment on my part. Well worth the price difference now that I've got it in my house.

There is more than sufficient brightness, so I don't need a positive gain screen.

I have yet to put up any of the testing tools to see how it does.

Wireless/John:

There's about a 1' difference between the two. The sheet had screen door disappear at about 4', the Greyhawk at about 5'.

No, I don't know the thread count, it was originally purchased (cheap) as a photographic backdrop.

Regards,

------------------

---

·
Registered
873 Posts
I don't think you can know if you are lacking punch . . . until you've been 'punched'.

Kelly

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dan,

I haven't done any serious comparisons, just took a few shots and watched the Superbit version of 5th Element. I wanted to give a "constant shot". As Guy points out, I probably missed out on anything significant with my lack of photographic expertise.

I haven't noticed the "gray factor", but it could be there. This is a fairly subtle gray, with a .95 gain. Some of this will take time for the untrained video eye (me).

The LT-150 has no problems producing an acceptably bright image at my viewing distance, about 8.5' from the screen. Initially it was fired up with the shades up in late afternoon/early evening and the image was ok given the tons of light in the room. Dropping the shade was awesome.

Regards,

------------------

---

·
Registered
873 Posts
Regarding the ongoing discussion of high-power v. greyhawk, here's my impression: it doesn't matter if you have sufficient light output, that's not what the high-power is for. Rather, the high power produces its own kind of image, which is extremely saturated in colors and intensity of contrast.

I had been using a slightly grey wall before, and found it completely acceptable. However, the high-power is a very different experience. I didn't really notice an increase in light output as much as a different viewing experience altogether. It has been called 'punch' which might be a good term.

I think of it like a good sauce that, when further reduced, produces a more intense, poignant flavor over the already good sauce.

Kelly

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Grant,

Geeze dude, I'm already over budget -- the projector was my budget, and the screen is the "over budget", the hushbox is the "way over budget" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Sergio,

That could be a camera artifact, and I can't test it out until tonight. Keep in mind, I'm a budding videophile -- just getting started down the video journey. It'll be a few years before I catch up to the audio side http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Kelly,

I don't find things lacking punch yet, but it took me a week or so to bet acclimated to the FPTV vs RPTV to begin with. I imagine it will take me about the same with the new screen.

Regards all,

------------------

---

·
Registered
93 Posts
john,

what's the size of your grayhawk screen?

- sonny b.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Althought the threadcount question on your bedsheet was initially a joke, I began thinking that maybe a coarser weave hid the spaces between pixels better than a smooth surface. That would account for the difference in screen door visibility. Most have reported reduced screendoor while using a Greyhawk versus other material types. Maybe someone who has gone from something like a Matte White screen to a Greyhawk would care to comment?

------------------

John
My HT Picts

·
Registered
873 Posts
John - I'm only saying that you cannot preclude the performance of the high power based on the 'punchy' adjective or the idea that you don't need more light.

The image on the high power was nothing like I expected it to be. Sure, I've not had the opportunity to try 5 different screen materials, but I've seen my share of 1.0 - 2.0 screens, and on the LT150 the 2.8 was a very interesting experience.

I paid $275 for mine, which is easy to resell with minimal loss if need be.

Bottom line is we're all still waiting for someone to do a shootout between the greyhawk and the highpower. . . .

Kelly

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd be willing to provide the space, but be warned I am not nearly the video expert as I am the audio expert. If I were, I wouldn't have asked several people who know more than me for their advice!

I can clearly articulate the difference in sound between the two screens however http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Regards,

------------------

---

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.